Everyone's Best Friend is a mod for Fallout 4, created by Valdacil.
This mod allows you to have Dogmeat and a standard companion at the same time using in game functionality (nothacks or console commands).
There is a lot of evidence that Dogmeat is not a true 'companion' according to the Companion system and was originally intended for you to have Dogmeat along with another companion:
- Live and Love doesn't apply to Dogmeat.
- Dogmeat doesn't disable Lone Wanderer perk benefits.
- Dogmeat has reduced carry capacity and DPS compared to other companions.
- There are Companion affinity interactions for healing Dogmeat, which would require you to have him present with another companion.
- On the technical end, the FollowerScript script uses 2 different variables for PlayerHasCompanionActive and PlayerHasDogmeatCompanionActive to store whether you have a companion and/or Dogmeat.
- Then there is this comment in the script directly from a Bethesda developer regarding Dogmeat and companions:
To install use Nexus Mod Manager.
Report problems with download to email@example.com