May turned out to be a weak month for fans of big robots - at least those who enjoy free-to-play games. The release of the PC version of Mobile Suit Gundam Battle Operation 2 turned out to be another big failure in this category.
- On Steam, the game was received abysmally - only 20% of player reviews are positive., which is categorized as a "mostly negative" reception.
- The problem is not the gameplay, but the game's technical condition. Servers completely fail - connections are constantly broken, and matchmaking often does not work at all. Already during testing there were problems with this, and now it is expected to be even worse.
- Players also complain about poor optimization and engine freezing.
- The state of the game is all the more surprising given that it has been available on PS4 for several years now.
- Despite all these problems, players are gritting their teeth for now and trying to play on. Mobile Suit Gundam Battle Operation 2 debuted on Wednesday with an impressive activity record at 25,000 simultaneous players. Despite the technical difficulties, yesterday's record was 18 thousand players, which is quite surprising considering how negative the reception of the game has been.
- It remains to be hoped that the devs will manage to stabilize the servers and fix the most serious shortcomings. After all, interest in the game is high, and if the developers hurry up, it can be saved.
It is worth mentioning that this is the second unsuccessful launch of May in the category of games with mechs. Another disaster also turned out to be the release of Hawken Reborn. For this F2P production, only 23% of reviews on Steam are positive. Here, players did not have the patience to wait for patches - yesterday's activity record amounted to a mere 33 concurrent users.
May, however, brought one good release for fans of big robots - a big success turned out to be the debut of the strategy game Mechabellum, which boasts 91% positive reviews on Steam. It is a paid game available in Early Access, only the 1.0 release will use the free-to-play model.
- Mobile Suit Gundam Battle Operation 2 on Steam