Project TIE Fighter: Total Conversion, one of the most impressive mods of last year, has received a new version. The modification uses the Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance engine to recreate the classic TIE Fighter from 1994.
- TIE Fighter: Total Conversion - download the mod from our FTP server (the authors have given us permission to host a mirror)
What is TIE Fighter: Total Conversion and why is it so cool
The project can be considered an unofficial remake. The modification recreates all campaigns from the basic version of TIE Fighter and the Defender of the Empire and Enemies of the Empire expansions. That's a total of 76 missions, with dozens of additional tasks from modders. In addition, some of the missions from the originals are optionally available in an alternative, improved version (called Reimagined) - with a larger scale of skirmishes and additional objectives.
The developers have also remastered the cutscenes and audio setting, and introduced an option to collect emblems, serving a role analogous to Achievements.
The project was built on the foundations of the great modification called XWU, which thoroughly refreshes X-Wing Alliance and upgrades its engine, so TIE Fighter: Total Conversion presents a much higher quality level than XWA.
The whole thing is incredibly impressive. It's my favorite mod of 2021 and overall one of the best things I've had a chance to play during that period.
What's new in version 1.3
Update 1.3 brings big changes:
- Optimization has been heavily improved. The mod has been reworked so that more rendering is allocated to the GPU (previously it was mainly done by the CPU), which resulted in big performance increases.
- Three new missions were added in the Reimagined version and several already available were improved.
- The actor playing Admiral Thrawn was changed.
- An option to speed up time 4 times has been introduced.
- Modders improved gameplay balance and graphic effects.