IN A NUTSHELL:
- Ampere Analysis expect Sony to sell 66 million PS5s by the end of 2024, while XSX will reach 37 million players;
- The Japanese company is expected to gain the upper hand through PS4's domination and backward compatibility;
- According to experts, a potentially higher price will not affect interest in the new platforms.
Ampere Analysis predicts that the PS5 will sell much better than the competitive Xbox Series X. According to the analysts, for the first four years - until 2024 - Sony's console will find 66 million customers, thanks to which the Japanese company will once again gain advantage over Microsoft (the same forecast suggests XSX sales of 37 million units).
According to the analysts, the main reason for such good sales of the console will be backward compatibility - it is supposed to cause many current PS4 owners to switch to Sony's new platform in order not to lose their collections of games accumulated over the last seven years. Interestingly, experts also believe that a potentially higher price will not affect the interest in ninth-generation consoles - unless it exceeds a certain level.
"Higher prices are expected to have a minimal impact on the acceptance of the device on the day of its launch. We believe that to some extent - below $500 - the price is not an important factor," the report reads.
It is worth noting that although the number of 66 million units is high, this is below the result achieved by PS4, which after four years had 80 million users.
- PlayStation 5 - official website
- Xbox Series X - official website
Last update: 2020-06-15