author: Damian Gacek
Single player in Barotrauma 1.0; Can you play solo?
In this guide we will tell you if you can play solo in Barotrauma 1.0. Is single player worth it?
Barotrauma 1.0 was released few hours ago. The title was several years in Early Access. There are few novelties in a 1.0 version, like proper endgame and deeper story. Many players want to try new features with friends, but some people wonder whether single player is worth playing. In this guide we will tell you about solo mode.
Single player in Barotrauma
You can play solo in Barotrauma, nevertheless, it is more difficult than multiplayer mode and less fun. In single player you can take control of all crew members. What is more, it is possible to stack up to 3 orders, which can be done by crewmates, who are not controlled by you. In theory everything works…
However, AI is sadly not ideal. You will have some problems with it and it is the worst part of solo experience. You have to be patient, start with a small ship and on a lower difficulty level.
Solo mode in Barotrauma – flaws
- AI does not change priorities – as it was stated before, AI is not ideal, the biggest flaw is that your crewmates cannot change priorities of their tasks. People who play Barotrauma know that this game can be calm and slow for a long time but when something starts to happen, it can be very dynamic. Your computer crewmates can have only 3 orders queued and you have to change their priority yourself. It can be difficult during fights when you are drowning.
- Autopilot can be strange – when you play solo, you should check your autopilot often. It can pick a really strange route (definitely not optimal). It is also impossible to target side objectives with it. What is more, it is useless during fights. There is no “combat mode”. You should pilot yourself most of the time.
- You have to do everything alone – players can divide responsibilities, take care of their part of supplies and buy them accordingly. In solo mode you have to do many things on your own.
Single player in Barotrauma – Tips
- Start slowly – pick small ship and low difficulty level. Single player is difficult even without additional problems.
- Crew members – engineer, mechanic and captain, pick those classes as your first crewmates. Later, take a medic. This job is also very important, and survivability of your crew is connected with this person, but you can heal your characters in bases. Security officer is next in the line to pick.
- Change orders – as it was stated, your people do not change priorities. It means that you have to do it for them. Pick them in accordance with the situation.
- Don’t pick fights at the beginning – familiarize yourself with the ship and controls, don’t take side quests which are based on killing dangerous animals.