The following pages of the Undecember guide will tell you everything about runes - what they are, how to combine them, which are the best and how to improve them. Runes are skills, so it's important to know all about them.
The Undecember guide is based on the Steam Next Fest 2022 demo. It is up to date as of October 6, 2022.
Types of runes
- Skill rune - these runes are hexagonal. If you assign them to the quickbar, they will serve as activated skills - mainly various attacks.
- Link rune - they are a support for the Skill rune - they can strengthen it in various ways. A special type of these runes are those with the channel tag. They allow you to combine 2 Skill Runes with each other, creating one deadly combo.
- Runestone - runes that give passive bonuses to the rest, depending on their placement on the board.
In Undecember, runes serve as skills and their support. There is no clear distinction between good and bad runes, as a lot depends on how you use them and what kind of characters you want to play as. With their help, however, you can create builds of various effectiveness. To learn more about them, check out this page - Builds - which are the best?.
Some interesting runes worth your attention:
- Multishot - allows you to increase the number of projectiles you shoot.
- Spell Activation While Channeling, Spell Activation on Attack - thanks to them, you can combine your skills into deadly combinations.
- Fire ball, Whirlwind, Lightning Chain, Spread shot - these skills are worth getting, especially at the beginning of the game. Here you will find runes suitable for all classes.
It is also worth remembering that, like equipment, runes also have rarity levels. The more difficult to obtain, the better the bonuses. Division from the weakest - Normal, Magic, Rare, Legendary.
Combining runes; channeling
The basic mechanic in Undecember is to combine runes into different combinations. The menu for doing this is under the "K" key (the gamepad does not have a button assigned for it by default).
Each Skill rune has 6 sides. Through them, it can be connected to the Link rune. Unfortunately, to do this, the Skill rune must have a side in the color that matches the Link rune. Moreover, not all sides are active from the beginning. The chance of having a rune with all connections working is very small!
A special type of Link rune are those with the channel tag. They allow you to combine Skill rune into deadly combinations. When combined, runes must be placed in the correct order (in line with the arrows): Skill rune with the channel tag - Link rune with the channel tag - appropriate Skill rune. You have to be careful with tags, as not all runes are compatible with each other.
In addition, both skills must be equipped in the quick access slots. Additionally, only one of them is active - the one with the channel tag. Use this one - you will then use both at the same time. Not following the above advice will result in the combination not working.
You may have to enchant runes so that they have the color of the sides you want, the correct number of them, and that they are in the correct places. You can do this at the rune merchant in safe settlements. Thanks to this option, you will also have the chance to change the rarity of your rune.
This process will cost you various essences. Their use depends on what you want to make and how rare the item you want to improve is. They are obtained in various ways - they can be "dropped", obtained by disassembling equipment, as gifts, created using alchemy or purchased with premium currency.
Unfortunately, it should be noted that luck is an important factor when enchanting, as many essences are random.
At the merchant with runes in the settlements, you can also do Rune growth. This allows you to increase the level of your Skill and Link runes, which affects their strength. However, you need crystals called Element for this. They fill your stones with energy. You should use an Element of the same color as the rune - this will give the best effect. They can be obtained as gifts, loot or as a reward for quests.