During yesterday's PAX East 2023, Square Enix shared a handful of new information about Final Fantasy XVI. The fast-approaching new installment of the Japanese company's flagship series has received, among other things, a new trailer and gameplay demonstration.
New trailer, gameplay, battle system
During the hour-long panel, the audience was flooded with information about the upcoming RPG.
- Among the most interesting is probably the long gameplay footage presented live (this segment starts around the 30th minute of the video).
- The gameplay focuses on the exploration aspect, although there are also several smaller clashes with enemies towards the end.
The combat system itself, by the way, lived to see its own separate mention, enriched with a trailer.
- The presented dynamic clashes with enemies enabled the players to see some of the hero's special abilities in action.
- Fragments of the fight with the mighty Eikon also gave a taste of how monumental opponents we will face in Final Fantasy XVI.
There were, of course, many more gameplay mechanics presented at the show. Those interested in the details should certainly watche the entire thing, available above.
Finally, it's also worth mentioning a small surprise for pet enthusiasts. The game will enable us to pet the main character's dog Torgal, who accompanies us in battles.
World, characters, new trailer
In addition to the purely ludic aspects Final Fantasy XVI, the show also did not forget about the story layer of the new game from Square Enix. The game's producer, Naoki Yoshida, who was present on stage, revealed a bit of information about the world in the latest installment of the series, which returns to high fantasy setting after many years.
The world of Valisthea is torn by a long war for resources, fought between six factions. We will watch the inhospitable setting through the eyes of the main character named Clive Rosfield. The plot will take the player to three different periods of the hero's life, thus showing his worldview and attitude to the world changing over the years.
Valisthea itself also lived to see a separate trailer, showing various sceneries of the geographically diverse world.
Graphic modes, demo, release
Square Enix representatives present on stage also mentioned the game's graphic modes available on the PlayStation 5 console.
- The player will be able to choose the quality mode - gameplay in 4K at the expense of 30 frames per second.
- Alternatively, there will be a performance mode - gameplay in 1440p at 60 fps.
It's also worth mentioning that for undecided players there will be an option to test the game in the form of a free demo. It will be made available two weeks before the release.
Final Fantasy XVI will hit store shelves on June 22. FFXVI has been announced only in a PlayStation 5 version, with a possible PC version being a distant future.