Blizzard announced recently that it will soon release patch 1.35.0 for Warcraft III: Reforged, which, among other things, will fix some of the bugs still present in the game, as well as enable us to create or modify campaigns according to our needs. The community received the announcement with great enthusiasm. However, this is not the only way to improve this remaster of the iconic strategy game.
Indeed, there are mods, introducing changes to the game, promised by Blizzard back in 2018, which ultimately did not make it into the game (the possible reasons are discussed here). Their author is Italian Luca Pasqualini, on the web generally using the pseudonym InsaneMonster. To date, he has created two such modifications:
- Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged: Exodus of the Horde (fully completed);
- Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged: The Scourge of Lordaeron (completed, though still improved).
As their names suggest, the mods improve, respectively, the game's prologue, consisting of two missions, and the human campaign (the first of four in general). The latter is already complete thanks to a recent update (see trailer above), although InsaneMonster is still fine-tuning it. Next up, the mod intends to take on the campaigns of undead, orcs and elves.
What exactly do the mods in question offer?
- Remastered cutscenes - with properly captured angles, etc. - much more reminiscent of what Blizzard promised in 2018.
- Redesigned maps and missions, enabling us to navigate through much nicer terrain.
- A more expansive story, enhanced with a new epilogue, playable cut-scenes, new characters and references to World of Warcraft.
- Better balanced difficulty levels - AI designed so that enemies have "distinctive personalities."
- Support for multiple language versions and compatibility with all graphics mods.
- New elements of lore waiting to be discovered.
If you want to download either - or both - of these mods, you can do so by clicking the links below. If, on the other hand, you want to support InsaneMonster's project, follow this link will take you to its page on Patreon.
The author of the modification has also given us permission to host the mirrors of projects refreshing the campaigns in Warcraft III: Reforged on our FTP.
- Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged (RR) Prologue Campaign: Exodus of the Horde - download the mod from our FTP.
- Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged (RR) Human Campaign: The Scourge of Lordaeron - download the mod from our FTP
It is worth mentioning that one of these mods, in the form of Warcraft 3 Re-Reforged (RR) Human Campaign: The Scourge of Lordaeron, which improves the game's human campaign, received a new version a few days ago, introducing numerous improvements.