This page of the guide to Syberia: The World Before contains a walkthrough of the chapter Vaghen - Musician district, autumn 2005. We explain how to repair the mechanical orchestra. Step by step, we describe how to fix the mechanism in the clock tower and get behind the truck. Here you will find all the access codes and learn how to play the piano.
If you've painted something in wet cement in Chapter 1: Music District 1937, you can unlock the achievement For the Future in this chapter. You can also unlock the Old Acquaintances achievement in Music Academy. You can read more about it on a separate page of this guide: Trophies.
- Use ''introspection'' before you go to the academy - secondary objective
- Go to the Music Academy
- Ask for Dana's file
- Search in the rector's archive box
- Talk to the Frau Beckmann
- Question the rector about the main square before playing the piano - secondary objective
- Repair the mechanical orchestra
- Locate the elevator to the clock tower
- Repair the mechanism in the clock tower
- Clear the passage to the mechanism behind the truck
- Repair the automatons on the square
- Play the hymn of Vaghen
- Take Dana's file
- Go to the Bridge of Mists by tram
Use ''introspection'' before you go to the academy - secondary objective
You can use the "introspection" in the square, by the piano.
Go to the Music Academy
The Music Academy is located in the square, you will recognize the building by the boarded-up windows.
Ask for Dana's file
Walk up to the window and examine the bell.
Search in the rector's archive box
While holding down the left mouse button, remove the box's lid and move. Pick up Vaghen's hymn note sheet, notes, and Frau Beckmann's report.
Talk to the Frau Beckmann
Walk up to the piano and talk to Frau Beckmann. After the conversation, you will receive a maintenance room key.
Question the rector about the main square before playing the piano - secondary objective
Switch the character to Kate Walker, walk up to the window and ring the bell to talk to the rector one more time. Select all dialogue options.
Repair the mechanical orchestra
This objective is divided into several stages. While the mechanism is being repaired, you can switch the controlled character between Kate and Dana at any time.
Locate the elevator to the clock tower
As Dana Roze, open the door to the technical room with the key. Examine the elevator at the end of the room and try to open the elevator gate.
Change the character to Kate Walker and explore the back door of the building that is now the coffee shop. Move the trashcan toward the door and enter through the hole above the door. Examine the shelf with carton boxes. Move the cardboard box on the right and look at the elevator grille.
Move the carton shelf and use the elevator.
Repair the mechanism in the clock tower
Go to the upper level of the clock tower and inspect its mechanism. Pull the lever on the right first, then the one on the left. Finally, press the red button.
Walk past the machine and go down the second ladder.
Take the item lying on the red box, then examine the valve near the mechanical bird. Grab the knob and turn it counterclockwise until the tower door opens.
After a short cutscene, exit the tower and take the elevator back to the first floor. Examine the back door of the building, turn the lock to the right and exit the clock tower.
Clear the passage to the mechanism behind the truck
Playing as Kate, inspect the car covering the mechanism by the wall of the building. Check the number on the truck and return to the Music Academy. Use the phone at the front desk and call 5123888321 to ask the owner to move the truck.
Repair the automatons on the square
Approach the automaton by the statue of the woman with the cello. Switch the character to Dana Roze and check the machine's access code. The code is 1973.
When the door of the machine opens, examine its mechanism. Switch the character to Dana Roze and check the correct layout of the elements.
By holding down the left mouse button, you can grab the slider and move it up and down and side while grabbing the mechanism's elements. The knob turns the elements so that the letters visible on them change.
Position the pieces on the right side of the mechanism shown in the picture above according to these directions:
- Insert the top slider on the right side into the first piece and turn it to show the letter A;
- Move the same slider sideways to hold the middle piece and lower the slider 1 level down;
- Pull the top slider on the right out of the middle element and move the element with the letter A up 1 level;
- Pull the slider from the piece on the right, go down 1 level, insert the slider into the middle piece, change the letter to D and lower it 2 levels down.
Then position the mechanism pieces on the left shown in the picture above according to these directions:
- Insert the top slider on the left into the first piece and move it down 1 level;
- Pull the slider out of the first piece on the left, move to the top, grab the middle piece and change its letter to G;
- Pull the slider out of the middle piece, lower the slider 1 level down, insert the slider into the piece with the letter C, and move back for the middle piece with the letter G;
- Lower these 2 elements by 4 levels;
- Pull the slider out of the element with the letter G and move the one with the letter C 1 level up.
Finally, position the mechanism pieces according to the following instructions:
- Insert the bottom slider on the right into pieces with the letters G and D. Lower them to the bottom level;
- Pull the slider out of G, move D 1 level up, and pull out the slider from the piece.
When the elements are positioned the right way, press the green button. If you have followed all the steps correctly, you will see a short cutscene.
Approach the mechanism at the violin sign on the sidewalk. Inspect the valve under the numbers and follow the directions on the screen to open the automaton.
Insert the missing part of the automaton that you found earlier in the clock tower. After you press the green button, a short cutscene will play, meaning that the machine has been repaired.
Finally, approach the automaton on the wall of the building that was previously blocked by the truck and switch the character to Dana. Lead Dana to the automaton by the building and look at the small door lying next to it to learn the code.
Switch the character to Kate and use access code: 9708.
As Dana, check the correct position of the mechanism on the left. Switch to Kate and set up all the pieces according to the diagram using knobs and small levers.
Examine the mechanism on the right and arrange it according to the diagram, setting the gold pieces in the right places.
When all elements are placed correctly, examine the green button. Pull the lever at the top to the right, examine the small lever at the bottom of the button and pull it up. Finally, press the green button.
If all the mechanism elements have been arranged correctly, a cutscene will start.
Play the hymn of Vaghen
Walk up to the piano and try to play it. When you press any key, the mechanism on the left side of the piano will be revealed. Turn the camera to the left and inspect the circle.
While holding down the left mouse button, turn the handle of the middle gear 45 degrees to the right. Then move the two small levers on the right and left to the center of the mechanism.
When the machine opens, take out the broken object and put Oscar inside. Finally, turn the camera to the piano, place the notes, and play the Vaghen hymn.
Take Dana's file
Go back to the Music Academy and talk to the rector. Read the address written on Dana's folder.
Go to the Bridge of Mists by tram
Return to the tram stop and go to the Bridge of Mists.