developer: IO Interactive
publisher: Electronic Arts Inc.
Game mode: single / multiplayer
Multiplayer mode: local network / Internet, players: 1 - 8
In a world where the Soviet Union won the Cold War, a fierce conflict is unfolding in the streets of America. Taking on the role of Christopher Stone, players evolve from an average New Yorker into a fearless patriot who recruits and leads an army of freedom fighters in the streets of New York City. Freedom Fighters combines the depth of a squad based game with the intensity of an action-packed war game that unfolds in the streets, subways, and buildings of the city.
* Character evolution that transforms the main character from an average civilian to the toughest Freedom Fighter in the world.
* Fast paced squad based element that enables players to recruit and lead up to 12 Freedom Fighters into battle.
* Intense, in-your-face urban guerilla warfare scenarios ranging from small sabotage missions to large battles where the player has to conquer enemy installations.
* Charisma-based Recruiting System gives players points for rescuing prisoners or capturing key installations.
* Variety of weapons including machine guns, rocket propelled grenades, and Molotov Cocktails.
* Environments and the seasons will evolve over time. As the game progresses, the city is slowly degraded and transformed into a massive battlefield.
* Enhanced rendering technology via Io Interactive's Glacier engine that lends to amazing 3D special effects such as real-time lighting, rain, snow, smoke and explosions.
* Rich environmental audio such as shouting when in battle, barking out commands and music setting the pace and mood of the gameplay action. Music composed by Jesper Kyd and performed by the Hungarian Radio Choir.
* Multiplayer support - Up to four players via split-screen mode on the console versions.
Sony PlayStation 2