Almost 3 years after release, Cyberpunk 2077 receives a huge patch revamping many aspects of gameplay. It doesn’t mean of course that after so many patches, hotfixes, and other expansions, it is free of bugs and errors. Players who expected to enjoy the new update with Phantom Liberty DLC without any issues can be unpleasantly surprised knowing that Cyberpunk can still flatline on them while trying to play the game or even launch it. If you are experiencing crashes, we might have some tips on how you can alleviate this problem.
Cyberpunk 2077 – Crashing explained
REDengine seems to be causing a lot of problems for CD Projekt Red developers, as it seems they still cannot tame it and make to work without major issues and crashes. This is probably the reason why they chose Unreal Engine for their future projects.
If you have installed the latest update, with or without the Phantom Liberty DLC, you might have experienced the game flatlining. Keep in mind that the update is called 2.0 not without a reason. It changes some core mechanics in Cyberpunk. Follow the steps below to troubleshoot it:
- Developers disabled mods in Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty. It is important not to turn them on. Due to extensive alterations in game systems after the update, old modifications can be the very first reason for the game crashes as the changes they introduced may no longer be compatible. It is a good idea to delete mods files from your game folder for now.
- In case you didn’t use any mods, try clean reinstallation of your game. There is an official article prepared by CDPR that will guide you through the process.
- If you have overclocked your RAM, it may also cause instability issues. You can try turning off XMP / EXPO in your BIOS.
- Seems like Cyberpunk 2077 can be very RAM sensitive, as some players claim that increasing paging file in Windows solved the issue for them.
- As always, updating your drivers is a step that never hurts, especially that the title supports DLSS 3.5. This could be a very important step for Nvidia graphics card users, but no matter if you are using AMD or Intel GPU, most recent drivers are always the best shot.
- There are gamers who suggest that clean reinstall of Windows fixed their problems. This appears to be a bit over extensive, but if you are desperate enough, it’s also a valid step to try.
- An option for more patient people would be to just wait for more fixes and patches from the developers’ side, especially if you don’t want to mess with your computer’s configuration.
Despite all the issues that the new update for Cyberpunk 2077 brought, the 2.0 patch with Phantom Liberty DLC is praised by the critiques and players alike. If you have played the game before, it may be a great opportunity to revisit Night City, if not, this is probably the best time to start your journey.
If you would like to know more about Cyberpunk 2077, check also:
- Cyberpunk 2077 Gained in Realism Over 3 Years, but Some Silliness Remains
- Cyberpunk 2077 - DLSS Ray Reconstruction Greyed Out Fix
- What Else Changed in Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 - Deep Dive on Less Obvious Features and Glitches
- You can also check the Cyberpunk 2077 guide that we have prepared
- More information about Phantom Liberty DLC can be found here