November 16 marked the debut of Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0. It is worth taking a look at how the game has fared on Steam.
- In terms of popularity, the game was a great success. Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0 is closely integrated with the paid CoD Modern Warfare II, as both titles run through a single launcher. Therefore, activity estimates include both games. Yesterday, at the hottest time of the day on Steam, they were played by 452,281 people simultaneously.
- Daily activity records of just CoD MW2 from the previous few days were around 160-190,000, so we estimate that of those 425,000 people Warzone 2.0 accounts get about 260-290 thousand players.
- Of course, it should be remembered that Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0 is a free-to-play title, but this is still an impressive result.
- Worse is the reaction of gamers. On Steam only 38% of user reviews praise Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0, which is categorized as a "mostly negative" reception.
- Some consolation may be that most people do not criticize the gameplay. Reactions are so negative because of the poor technical condition of the game. Fans are complaining about login problems, servers that don't work, a freezing engine and a ton of various bugs. It remains to be hoped that the developers will quickly fix these problems.
- It's worth mentioning that the high activity scores show that many players are gritting their teeth and, despite all these imperfections, playing Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0. The only question is how long will their patience last.
Recall that the game hit PC, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S simultaneously.
This year the series returned to Steam after a long absence. CoD: Warzone was never made available on the website, while Modern Warfare II is the first major installment in the series since 2017's Call of Duty: WWII to debut on Valve's store. Both of the new installments of the brand are quite popular, which shows that the return to Steam was a good decision.
- Call of Duty - official website