This page of the guide contains a set of starting tips for Dave the Diver. We address important topics, thanks to which your character will have a bigger chance to survive and his abilities will increase by acquiring better fishing equipment. We also mention a few commonly made mistakes that can lead to death by being eaten or drowning.
- Keep an eye on the oxygen supplies
- Buy a larger Cargo Box
- Remember to look for loot
- Complete basic firearms as soon as possible
- Use the To-Do app to track quests
- Improve meals at the sushi bar and train the staff
- Be careful when fighting predators and bosses
- Don't rush with reaching greater depths
Keep an eye on the oxygen supplies
- In Dave the Diver, the easiest way to die is by running out of oxygen and drowning. The game displays the current supplies in the lower left corner of the screen. You should always remember about the fact that you need to have enough oxygen to escape (e.g. to the Escape Pod capsule) or to reach a place to restore oxygen supply (e.g. underwater oxygen tanks).
- You should also remember about increasing the Air Tank permanently to extend diving time. The tank's upgrades are available for purchase in the iDiver app.
We discussed the topic of oxygen management and increasing the tank on the page How to increase oxygen supplies?.
Buy a larger Cargo Box
- In the game, you have to deal with a carrying limit, which by default is only 9kg. That's very little, because a single larger fish can weigh several kilograms meaning you can quickly reach the limit. Exceeding this limit slows down your movements under the water and increases the risk of drowning.
- You can permanently increase the carrying limit by purchasing Cargo Box upgrades in the iDiver app. Cobra's Premium Shop may sell single-use boxes that can be placed under the water. All this will allow you to collect more loot (fish, treasures, etc.) during a single dive.
For more details about the weight of items in the inventory, check out the page How to increase the carrying limit?.
Remember to look for loot
The main purpose of diving is to fish - by killing them or catching them alive. You do that to use them in your sushi bar as ingredients for dishes. However, searching for different species of fish shouldn't be your only activity, because there's also plenty of valuable loot in the depths. They are, e.g.:
- Boxes with armors, gadgets and upgrades - You can use the weapons immediately and assemble their blueprints. Gadgets (e.g. scooter, oxygen capsule) and upgrades remain active for the duration of the dive.
- Starfish and underwater plants - Starfish come in several colors that vary in rarity. You can use them to prepare meals and complete challenges.
- Crafting materials - These include cords, wood, or resource deposits used to enhance weapons in the Weapon Shop app.
- Quest items - They can be marked with a yellow (main quest) or blue (side quest) marker.
Complete basic firearms as soon as possible
- The basic weapon in Dave the Diver is a harpoon and you can use it mainly for catching fish. You can also use various types of melee weapons and firearms.
- You can find new firearms in crates on the ground and assemble their blueprints. Upon returning with a certain number of weapons to the surface, you will create a blueprint. This unlocks the option to purchase weapons in the Weapon Shop app for gold and crafting materials. We recommend obtaining items like Hush Dart for putting fish to sleep and catching live specimens, as well as Triple Axel to inflict heavy damage to predators.
More about obtaining new weapons on the How to acquire a firearm? page.
Use the To-Do app to track quests
- In Dave the Diver, it's easy to forget about quest objectives, and the information displayed on the screen may be insufficient. Use the To-Do app. It contains all the current main and side quests. You can also check already completed missions.
- In the To-Do app, you can check, among other things, what a fish or an item to be acquired looks like and at what depths you should look for them, or what locations you need to visit and what kind of items you need to obtain.
Improve meals at the sushi bar and train the staff
Managing the sushi bar is one of the 2 main activities in Dave the Diver. You should not ignore it, because serving meals to the customers is a great way to get rich. You should constantly improve your bar, i.e.:
- Invent new meals - You can do that in the Research tab. New dishes appear at specific moments in the game and when the staff reaches level 5.
- Improve dishes from the menu - You can spend some of the ingredients on this. This enhances the flavors making the customers satisfied and leave more money at the bar.
- Train and promote staff - It's worth using the Training tab to pay for staff training. Their base statistics will increase (e.g. faster customer service) and they can gain new skills.
Be careful when fighting predators and bosses
- When exploring the depths, you not only have to keep an eye on your oxygen supplies, but also watch out for aggressive species of fish - they are marked with red arrows. If you do not want to fight, then avoid them from a safe distance, make dodges (especially to avoid charges), or hold down the Shift key to swim away (note - you will use up oxygen faster!). Predators are also worth trying to catch, because they are ingredients in better dishes. Kill them with using, e.g. good firearms, bombs, nets or an upgraded harpoon.
- At certain points in the game, you will encounter bosses - large underwater creatures. Defeating some of them is mandatory. On the page How to kill the Giant Squid boss? we described the first encounter with the squid boss. Prepare for boss battles - take the best weapons and equipment to avoid attacks (for example underwater scooter) and spare oxygen tanks.
We recommend checking out the page What are the consequences of death?, where we described what can happen if, e.g. you lose against a predator.
Don't rush with reaching greater depths
- You will spend the first hours of the campaign in the starting area called the Giant Blue Hole and even here you need to be careful because the default Diving Suit allows you to dive to only 40 meters. Exceeding this limit causes a sudden depletion of oxygen supplies and poses a great risk of death.
- Upgrade the Diving Suit in the iDiver app to increase the safe diving depth. This is important because by diving deeper, you can find rarer species of fish and valuable loot. Better equipment will also allow you to visit the Blue Hole Depths and other remote underwater areas.