- PUBG has begun the switch to free-to-play model;
- The devs are currently performing maintenance on the servers and the game will be back tomorrow;
- The transition to F2P applies to all hardware platforms;
- It will be possible to purchase a DLC with additional features and options;
- Existing game owners will receive the DLC and and item pack for free.
As previously announced, Playerunknown's Battlegrounds, one of the most popular online shooters, has switched to a free-to-play model with microtransactions. The switch applies to all hardware platforms on which the game is available, namely PC, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and Google Stadia.
The F2P switch is a big change, so maintenance work on servers is necessary, which forced the suspension of the game for a while. The maintenance end tomorrow, January 12.
The game is free, but it will also be possible to purchase a DLC called Battlegrounds Plus. By purchasing it, we will permanently unlock access to the following benefits:
- +100% survival proficiency EXP bonus;
- Career – Medal tab;
- Ranked competitive mode;
- Custom matchmaking.
Battlegrounds Plus will also provide the following items:
- Captain’s Camo Hat;
- Captain’s Camo Mask;
- Captain’s Camo Gloves;
- onus 1300 G-COIN.
Those who purchased the game prior to its transition to F2P will receive a Special Commemorative Pack, which will include:
- Battlegrounds Plus upgrade/DLC;
- A set of skins (Battle-hardened Legacy Corset, Battle-hardened Legacy Jacket, Battle-hardened Legacy Gloves, Battle-hardened Legacy Pants, Battle-hardened Legacy Boots);
- Shackle and Shanks Legacy – Pan;
- Nameplate – Battle-hardened Legacy.
More for You:
The devs promise that after the F2P switch is complete PUBG: Battlegrounds will receive many improvements and changes. As an example, the map codename "Kiki" is given, but its release has been postponed to mid-2022.
Finally, it's worth mentioning that preparations for the switch to F2P began on January 5, with the release of patch 15.2. The update introduced tactical equipment to the game in the form of drones and the EMT Gear device that accelerates wound healing. In addition, PUBG has been enriched with two tutorials. The first one is a basic tutorial, which introduces the player to the basic gameplay mechanics, and the second is a training battle against AI. Skills acquired in this way can be further honed through the introduction of tutorial missions. Moreover, the already existing Training Mode in the game has been significantly expanded and improved.
The patch also improved the gameplay balance, the minimap and lobby, as well as modified the store interface.
- PUBG: Battlegrounds - official website
- Playerunknown's Battlegrounds - game guide