developer: Matrix Games/Slitherine
publisher: Matrix Games/Slitherine
Game mode: single player
Legion is the working title for a revolutionary strategy game based in ancient Rome. At the strategic level the player controls vast armies and must carve an Empire from the assortment of tribes and city states that occupied ancient Italy and France. At the tactical level the player must position their armies to take advantage of terrain and make use of the best formations, to ensure victory. Do you have what it takes to become the next Emperor?
Our aim is to base the game on historical events and peoples, but it is first and foremost a game. This means that at times we have to bend the truth a little or compress time so events and people from slightly disparate times are brought together for a more interesting setting and the best gameplay. Historically many people have ideas about what happened in ancient Rome, but there are many areas that are grey and nobody really knows the full history. This means the small diversions we have taken from accepted history may actually be true rather than the commonly accepted ideas! We're convinced most of you will not be able to tell the difference between real history and our slightly modified version - unless you're a professor of history of course and in that case we can only apologise!
* Epic gameplay - there will be large game areas, accurately mapping real world locations. All maps are based on real atlases of the ancient world. The size of the game world combined with the subtle interactions of the game model make for a truly epic game.
* 20+ sides - each game can have up to 20 AI sides to compete against, each with their own strengths and weaknesses, based on the nations that would have been present at the time of the scenario!
* Diplomacy - with so many nations its impossible to win by conquest alone. Careful use of diplomacy will be required if you're going to succeed.
* Huge realistic battles - choose how your troops deploy for battle, controlling their formations, making best use of the terrain available and allowing for their morale and experience. The combat model is being based on historical data to give the most realistic look and feel ever seen in a computer game. Hundreds of men will be displayed to give a really epic feel to the battles. All uniforms and weapons will be based on historical data to make sure they are as accurate as possible.
* 3D battlefields - the battlefield terrain will all be made up of 3D rendered terrain. Height will be modelled and will effect the combat model. Every location will have its own unique battlefield meaning up to 16,000 per map!
* Multiple resources - collect 3 different resources types, each with their own specialist uses and methods of collection - Iron, Wood and Food.
* Detailed economics - control your cities, allocate workers to collect resources, control city growth, train new regiments. Increase production by constructing new buildings or upgrade your city hall to expand the amount of land that can be worked. Build fortresses for protection and to train better your soldiers.
* Replayability - play each map a number of times in completely different setting. E.g. Initially fight over Italy to unify the tribes into the powerful nation of Rome. Later fight over the same map as the Romans when they are invaded by the fearsome Gauls.
* Historical Accuracy - throughout the design of the game we have taken great care to ensure that the maps, the scenarios, the soldiers and the game engine capture the flavour of the ancient world and its warfare.
* Low Min Spec - we're working hard to ensure that the min spec for the game does not rise unnecessarily. This makes the game slightly harder to develop, but hopefully means anyone who wants to play the game is able to do so. To play Legion you will need a PII with 64MB RAM and a graphics card capable of displaying 800x600 in 16bit.
age requirements: everyone
PC / Windows
Recommended: Pentium II 300MHz, 64MB RAM, graphic card 8MB