IN A NUTSHELL:
- Elon Musk overtook Bill Gates in the ranking of the richest people in the world;
- With assets valued at 127.9 billion dollars, the founder of Tesla is second behind Jeff Bezos (182 billion dollars);
- Musk has earned $100.3 billion this year - mainly thanks to Tesla's actions;
- This is the second time in eight years that Bill Gates is not one of the two richest people on Earth (his fortune is now $127.7 billion).
The billionaire Elon Musk overtook Microsoft's founder, Bill Gates, on Bloomberg's list of the world's richest people. Currently, the founder of Tesla and SpaceX is valued at $127.9 billion, while Gates is valued at $200 million less. First place - unchanged for the last three years, when he also overtook Bill Gates - is occupied by Jeff Bezos (CEO of Amazon) with assets worth $182 billion.
It is worth noting that Elon Musk earned an astronomical 100.3 billion dollars this year, which made him jump from 35th place to number 2 seat. This is due to the excellent condition of Tesla, which beats one record after another on the stock exchange and is already worth over 500 billion dollars. As many as three quarters of the eccentric billionaire's assets are Tesla's shares - only thanks to the last jump of their value he earned 7.2 billion dollars.
Interestingly, this is only the second time in the eight-year history of Bloomberg's ranking when Bill Gates is not one of the two richest people on Earth. In November last year, he was replaced by Bernard Arnault in second place, but he spent very little time on the spot, because only one day. One may wonder if Elon Musk will hold this position longer. The financial rivalry of the giants is spiced up by the fact that recently the billionaires have had some verbal clashes. The reason was a difference of opinion about the pandemic.
- Tesla - official website
- Microsoft - official website