The following news contains plot spoilers for Cyberpunk 2077. You are reading at your own risk.
- Editing certain lines of code in Cyberpunk 2077 enables us to romance Judy as male V and with gender-specific dialogue lines to boot;
- CD Projekt Red claims that it was planned from the beginning to write Judy as a homosexual character, and that the mentioned male dubbing in romance scenes was recorded for other, more pragmatic reasons.
A few days ago, inquisitive modders (including the host of youtube channel FredrickFlower) found a way to romance Judy Alvarez in Cyberpunk 2077 when not playing as female V. How is that possible? It turns out that it was enough to change a few lines of the game code. Interestingly, both the interactions and the voice lines have options for male V and only in some dialogues do other NPCs speak to us in female form.
So the Internet users started to as question - since all female lines related to romancing Judy were also recorded in male version, does this mean the creators planned at some stage of development for Alvarez to be open to heterosexual romances?
The doubts were dispelled by CD Projekt Red itself, which shared its position on the subject on Eurogamer. The developers claim that Judy from beginning to end was to be planned to build a love relationship with female V. So what do the male dialogues mean? Well, it was supposedly easier to record all the lines of text for both genders than to take care of only some of them - otherwise it would have been easy to make mistakes that would have had to be fixed with additional dubbing sessions.
In short, this romance option simply wasn't planned, and if you were honestly counting on it, then you have to either come to terms with reality, or use the modders' instructions and tinker with Cyberpunk 2077's code a bit. Better than nothing, right?
- Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 is a Disaster. We Were Supposed to Burn City, not Consoles
- Cyberpunk 2077 Review - Samurai, You've Got a Great RPG to Play!
- Cyberpunk 2077 Without Secrets - A Handy Guide to Night City
- Cyberpunk 2077 - game guide