This game guide to Mafia 1 Remake is a compendium of knowledge about the new version of the very popular gangster video game in which you can take part in various mob battles and interesting crime stories. By using the information prepared in our guide you will be able to complete all missions, find 100% of secrets, earn a platinum trophy, and get a closer look at the most important gameplay mechanics.
The first major chapter of our guide to Mafia Definitive Edition is a complete walkthrough that describes all basic elements of the game. This chapter contains beginner's guide and tips - we have prepared valuable tips and hints on a variety of topics. In addition, we have comprehensively described such features as combat and stealth, map exploration, how to complete missions, and how to steal vehicles. Our guide includes a separate FAQ section that provides answers to frequently asked questions. Read our FAQ to find out, among other things, whether Mafia Final Edition is a full-fledged remake, how to heal your hero, how to avoid the police, whether you can repair cars, how to get a motorcycle, and how to win a race in the Fairplay mission.
The second chapter of the guide contains a detailed walkthrough of Mafia Definitive Edition story campaign. Our walkthrough contains a description of all main story missions, that is, missions which were based on the tasks from the original version of Mafia 1 and were required to complete the main story of the game. In addition, we have prepared detailed walkthrough of side missions that are a brand new feature in the remake. In our story walkthrough we have focused on describing the most problematic objectives of every mission, including how to win every battle and lose a police chase.
The last major chapter of the guide is the world map, in which you can find a completely new map of the in-game world. Some areas of the Lost Heaven city in the Mafia 1 Remake are slightly different from those which we have seen in the original version of the game. In the world map of our guide, we have included information about the most important locations and indicated how to collect all secrets in the game – you can find such collectibles as Puls magazines, Comics, Cigarette Cards and Post Cards.
This game guide to Mafia 1 Remake also includes several smaller sections and chapters. First of all, we have prepared a trophy guide that should help you earn 100% of achievements and unlock the platinum trophy. Secondly, you can find out how long it takes to complete the main story campaign of Mafia Definitive Edition, as well as get information on the controls and keybinds and system requirements of the remake.
Mafia Definitive Edition is a remake of the highly acclaimed Mafia The City of Lost Heaven mob video game from 2002. The game's action is set in the 1930s and takes the player to the fictional American city of Lost Heaven. We play the character of Tommy Angelo and observe his transformation from a legally working taxi driver into a member of one of the most influential gangster families. The remake of Mafia 1 does not change the main storyline in comparison to the original, but in addition to an entirely new visuals, it introduces many enhancements, modifications and new gameplay features. As a result, Mafia Definitive Edition may be interesting to even those players who have already completed the original version of Mafia 1 many times.
- Tips for beginners
- Main missions
- Side missions - Free Ride
- All secrets and collectibles
- I have a question and I'm looking for an answer
- Mafia Definitive Edition system requirements for PC
- Is Mafia Definitive Edition a remake or a remaster?
- Swimming - can the main character swim?
- World map - is it unlocked right away?
- Changing outfits – is it possible?
- Race – can you skip it?
Tips for beginners
Below are some starting tips useful for those playing the game for the first time. More hints for Mafia 1 Remake on the Beginner's Guide page.
- Don't pick the Classic difficulty level right away. It can cause you a lot of trouble, especially if you haven't played Mafia The City of Lost Heaven or you remember little of it. A normal or high difficulty level is the optimal setting for a first playthrough.
- Rely heavily on covers. They are a new feature in Mafia 1 Remake, so using them is not so obvious. Try to hide behind indestructible covers as much as possible and remember to destroy covers used by enemies.
- Often look at the mini-map displayed on the screen. The mini-map is primarily for checking the best route, but it also shows, e.g. locations of opponents and police officers, or items that can be examined.
- Heal by using first aid kit points. They are hanging on walls in locations where opponents appear. Since you can use each point once, don't take the first aid kit if you have received only minor damage.
- Remember the traffic regulations. Any violation carries the risk of starting a police pursuit. First of all, you should avoid hitting pedestrians and other cars. In addition, you should also activate the maximum speed limiter.
- Cars are best stolen quietly by breaking into them. You do this by using the lockpick received at the beginning of mission 4. Breaking a car window or throwing a driver out of the cab will alert police officers.
Below you can find a list of all 20 main missions in Mafia Definitive Edition. Each of them is described in great detail in the Walkthrough chapter. You have to do them all to complete the game's main storyline.
- An Offer You Can’t Refuse
- Running Man
- Molotov Party
- Ordinary Routine
- Better Get Used to It
- The Saint and the Sinner – this mission combines The Whore and The Priest missions from the original Mafia 1
- A Trip to the Country
- Visiting Rich People
- Great Deal
- Bon Appetit!
- Happy Birthday !
- You Lucky Bastard
- Creme De La Creme
- Election Campaign
- Just for Relaxation
- The Death of Art
Side missions - Free Ride
The list below contains side missions/challenges found in Mafia Definitive Edition. They can only be done in the Free Ride mode. A walkthrough for each of these missions can be found on a separate page of the guide. You start them by reaching the ringing phone booths.
- The Crazy Horse – unlocks the Crazy Horse vehicle
- Pennies from Hell – unlocks the Clown outfit and the Gold Shotgun
- Professional Protection – unlocks the Golden Tommy Gun
- Moderate Velocity – unlocks the Mechanic outfit
- Dock Block – unlocks the Gold Revolver
- Electric Trick Track – unlocks the Mutagen vehicle
- Explosive Situation – unlocks the Boxer outfit
- The Old Switcheroo – unlocks the Brubaker vehicle
- Betty – unlocks the Smith Moray vehicle
- Mister Fancy Bike – unlocks the Waybar motorcycle
- Alien Infiltration – unlocks the Alien outfit
- Curse of the Baskervilles – you must first complete 11 previous side missions; unlocks the outfit with a dog's head
All secrets and collectibles
Our Mafia Definitive Edition guide has useful information about the important locations and collectibles – you will be able to get 100% of secrets and unlock trophies associated with collectibles.
- World map – important locations – This page of the world map has a high-quality map of the world. We have highlighted the main city districts and the most important locations in Lost Heaven and in rural areas.
- Types of secrets – This page has information on types of secrets available in Mafia 1 Remake.
- Cigarette Cards – We described the locations of all 22 cigarette cards / collector cards.
- Dime Detective – We described the locations of all 20 Dime Detective magazines.
- Super Science Stories – We described the locations of all 20 Super Science Stories magazines.
- Black Mask – We described the locations of all 20 Black Mask magazines.
- Terror Tales – We described the locations of all 20 Terror Tales magazines.
- Gangsters Monthly – We have described the locations of all 10 Gangsters Monthly comics.
- Mystery Foxes – We have prepared a map in the world map on which we have marked the locations of all 50 Foxes.
I have a question and I'm looking for an answer
The FAQ section of our guide offers support in solving the most common problems and help you understand some important gameplay mechanics.
- Race – how to win – Winning the car race is the main part of Mission 5 – Fairplay. Our walkthrough has a map of the race track, descriptions of the most important turns, and tips on how to make it easier to get to the finish line in the first place.
- Police armored vehicle – how to stop – You encounter this armored police vehicle in Mission 10 – A Trip to the Country. Our walkthrough explains how to avoid police attacks as well as how to gradually damage the armored vehicle and eliminate its crew.
- Vehicles – how to steal – This page has lists of all the ways to steal cars – the more aggressive ways and those that don't draw the attention of civilians and police officers.
- Changing the character's appearance – is it possible – This page shows the available outfits and inform you in what circumstances you can wear new clothes.
- Police – how to avoid – This page describes how to deal with police. We've prepared, e.g. tips on how not to start a police chase and how to effectively lose a police pursuit.
- Crazy Horse vehicle – how to unlock – Crazy Horse is a hotrod-type machine known from the original Mafia 1. Our guide informs you how to unlock it in the remake.
- Time of day and weather – how to change – You will learn how to change the time of day (e.g. for the morning or night) and how to bring in rainfall.
Mafia Definitive Edition system requirements for PC
Here are the minimum requirements for the remake of Mafia The City of Lost Heaven:
- Processor: Intel i5-2550K / AMD FX-8120
- RAM: 6 GB
- Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 / AMD Radeon HD 7870
- DirectX: 11
- Disk Space: 50 GB
- Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
For more information, see the System requirements page. There you will also find, e.g. the recommended system requirements for Mafia Definitive Edition.
Is Mafia Definitive Edition a remake or a remaster?
Mafia Definitive Edition is a remake of Mafia The City of Lost Heaven released in 2002. It was prepared entirely from scratch, although of course, it has many elements shared with the original.
- Mafia 1 Remake recreates the plot missions known from the original, although the course of a few of them has undergone some changes. The remake also has brand new optional missions you can do in-between the story missions.
- Mafia Definitive Edition runs on the modified Mafia 3 graphics engine, thanks to which the quality of the visuals is very high. All known characters from the original are present in the remake, although their models have been re-designed. Because of that, some characters look very different.
- Mafia 1 Remake is focused entirely on the single-player gameplay.
- Remake has collectibles (e.g. magazines, comics, or postcards), which can be an effective motivation to complete the game in 100%. Mafia 1 Remake also has trophies/achievements and a platinum trophy on PS4.
- The Lost Heaven city map has been modified to some extent. All city districts and important locations are in the same or similar places. Major improvements were made to the rural areas located in the northern part of the map.
- Mafia 1 Remake has new features and vehicles like cover system and motorbikes. The game, however, keeps, for example, the Classic difficulty level (as an option, not the only setting available) and police responding to traffic offences.
For more information about the differences and similarities between the remake and the original version of Mafia 1, see the Remake – How is it different from the original? page.
Swimming - can the main character swim?
No, Tommy can't swim. You can fall into the water either as the main character himself or while driving a vehicle. Falling into the water doesn't end with instant death and mission failure. The main character respawns on the shore – you will be able to continue the game immediately.
World map - is it unlocked right away?
Yes, but a free exploration of the game world is only possible if a mission allows it. Some main missions force you to perform certain actions (e.g. chase or attack other characters) or stay in a specific part of the map.
Fortunately, you can unlock the Free Ride mode pretty quickly – we described it on one of our guide pages. It allows, as the name suggests, to travel around the game world without restrictions and engage in a variety of optional activities.
Note – Certain locations associated with missions (e.g. the farm from A Trip to the Country or the art gallery from The Death of Art mission) cannot be accessed during free exploration. The only way to visit them again is to repeat the related missions.
Changing outfits – is it possible?
The main character's outfit is always imposed by the main missions. It may be due to the specificity of the mission and Tommy's "status" in the Salieri's gang.
The game allows you to change your clothes by interacting with the wardrobe on the upper floor of the Salieri's bar, but this is only possible in two types of situations:
- While replaying a main story mission (Chapter Replay option).
- In Free Ride Mode – free exploration of the game world.
For more information, check out Changing the character's appearance – is it possible page in the FAQ section of our guide. There, you will also learn about the available outfits and the requirements to unlock them.
Race – can you skip it?
Unfortunately, Mafia Definitive Edition does not allow you to skip or lose the car race from the fifth main mission – Fairplay. This is justified in the plot – even before the race begins, you learn that Don Salieri has bet big money on the victory of a vehicle driven by Tommy.
If you're having trouble winning a race, then:
- Check out the Race – how to win page in the FAQ section of our guide.
- Go to the game options menu and set the easy difficulty level so that competitors' cars will drive slower.
- Make sure you have a regular driving model set in the options. It will make it easier for you to control your car.
- Avoid serious collisions because even on easy they can completely destroy the car and make you fail the mission.
About Mafia Definitive Edition Guide, Walkthrough
Author : Jacek "Stranger" Halas for gamepressure.com
Translator : Filip "Mithgandir" Liebert
last update :
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Mafia: Definitive Edition Video Game
- genre: Action
- developer: Hangar 13
- publisher: 2K Games
- platform: PC, XONE, PS4
More About Mafia: Definitive Edition
The Last of Us: Part 2 or Cyberpunk 2077? Maybe the inconspicuous Hades, which absolutely stormed our hearts? We've chosen our games of the year.
Don't like games with the story spread over 50 hours? Hate side quests that distract you from history? So we have prepared a list of new productions, which can be completed in under 10 hours!
The plot of Mafia: Definitive Edition is not grounded in facts as much as GTA: San Andreas, but it strongly alludes to several authentic events and well-known films. We checked how much truth about the American Mafia is contained in the Czech Mafia.
The dry spell of the summer ends in September – we will see the debuts of many anticipayed hits such as Mafia: Definitive Edition, Marvel's Avengers or early access of Baldur's Gate 3.
"GTA 6 will be set in Texas" – the headline yells, and we wonder if we should believe it or not. We've been going through the leaks and rumors of recent years to see if they're worth believing.