A new version of the excellent mod OpenRCT2 mod for RollerCoaster Tycoon II has been released.
What is OpenRCT2 and why is it so cool
The project is an open-source implementation of the game, which means that it recreates it on a new, much improved engine. It is not a standalone game, as it needs the files from the original to work.
In practice we get something like an unofficial remaster. Thanks to OpenRCT2 we get full compatibility with modern PCs and operating systems. The project removes virtually all bugs and technical flaws, as well as improves the graphics, interface and artificial intelligence.
What is more, the project adds to the game elements from the first RollerCoaster Tycoon, which were missing in the sequel, as well as raises various limits on the size of the park and its elements.
- OpenRCT2 - download page
- OpenRCT2 - official website
OpenRCT2 - what's new in version 0.4.0
The new version of the project is numbered 0.4.0 and brings dozens of changes and innovations. Below we list the most important ones.
- Increased the number of wagons constituting a ride to 255.
- Nearly quadrupled the maximum map size; now it can be 999x999, while previously the limit was set to 254x254.
- More freedom in choosing the surfaces and fences of rollercoasters.
- Possibility for players to add their own images to many park elements.
- More options to sort rollercoasters (e.g. by how much nausea they cause).
- A new save system with increased limits on various park elements.
Not only OpenRCT2
OpenRCT2 belongs to a category referred to as open-source game implementations. Projects of this type enable us to play classic games on modern PCs without the hassle of emulators, changing settings or installing any missing elements. Many of them (although not all) also introduce improvements in gameplay and graphics. This type of mods are also available for Caesar III (Augustus), Diablo (DevilutionX), UFO: Enemy Unknown (OpenXcom), Heroes of Might and Magic II (Fheroes2), Chris Sawyer's Locomotion (OpenLoco), Cannon Fodder (Open Fodder), Syndicate (FreeSynd), Syndicate Wars (Syndicate Wars Port), The Settlers (Freeserf), The Settlers II (Return to the Roots or Dune 2 (Dune Legacy).
Projects like this differ from open-source game clones in that they require the original files to run.