author: Michal Ciezadlik
The Witcher 3 Next Gen With New Update; Patch Notes
The Witcher 3 has received a handful of improvements as part of Update 4.01, which rolled out today. The patch mainly focuses on the game's performance and stability.
Today marks the debut of this year's first major update for The Witcher 3. CD Projekt Red has set about fixing the problems that have plagued both console players and those who prefer to play on PC.
The update, numbered 4.01, is mainly intended to improve performance and stability on PC, PS5 and XSX/S. The patch has been announced in mid-January, when CD Projekt Red's community manager Marcin Momot confirmed on social media that work on the improvements was underway.
Below we have presented the full patch notes.
The Witcher 3 - update 4.01
- Fixed an issue where the Screen Space Reflections setting wasn't working on PC despite being turned on. Players who had previously set their SSR setting to high may notice a performance impact.
- Added a new performance mode for ray-traced global illumination, which can be toggled by players with compatible hardware. It improves frame rate by prioritizing performance over range and precision.
- Fixed an issue where consoles could create a higher amount of saves than their set limit, resulting in various issues with saving the game or user settings being reset.
- Improved Screen Space Reflections quality on next-gen consoles.
- Optimized ray-traced global illumination on next-gen consoles to improve the performance of Ray Tracing Mode.
Tasks and gameplay - available on all platforms (beware of possible spoilers!)
- Battle Preparations - Fixed an issue where it could be impossible to interact with Avallac'h during the objective "Let Avallac'h know everything's ready."
- Family Matters - Fixed an issue that could cause the game to crash during the transition to Ciri's Story: Out of the Shadows when speaking to the Bloody Baron.
- King's Gambit - Fixed an issue where it could be impossible to participate in the fistfight with the second Vildkaarl due to an invisible obstacle.
- Wine Wars: Belgaard - Added a retrofix for the issue we fixed in 4.00, where the quest couldn't be completed if the player destroyed one of the required monster nests during exploration.
- A Dangerous Game - The armor in Caesar's room should now change its appearance when the Alternate Nilfgaardian Armor is turned on.
- Axii Puppet - Increased the health and damage dealt by the puppet.
- Adrenaline Rush mutation should now work according to its description.
Localization - available on all platforms
- Fixed various issues with Arabic localization.
- Added the localized versions of Orianna's song "Lullaby of Woe" in Korean and Simplified Chinese.
- Adjusted Priscilla's lip-sync animation to match her voice-over in Simplified Chinese during the song "The Wolven Storm".
The team adds that the items on the above list are only the most noticeable fixes included in the 4.01 update. In addition, the patch contains other minor changes that are not listed.