Yesterday marked equal 10 years since GTA V hit the stores. Although it's been a long time since Rockstar's game was released, it still enjoys gigantic popularity - thanks in large part to GTA Online, which received a package of anniversary content.
GTA V has been with us for 10 years
September 17, 2013 - that's when fans of Rockstar's gangster series could check out its fifth installment on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 consoles. The game was very well received not only by loyal fans, but also by critics. The day before the debut, saw reviews by industry media, in which several 10s appeared and other editorial teams also rated the new part of GTA very highly, thus solidifying its position in the market.
- On its first day on the marketGTA V brought the publisher as much as 800 million dollars in revenue.
- In 2014 GTA V also hit the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, bringing further sales records. Since 2015, the game could also be enjoyed by PC owners, and since 2022 it can be played on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X/S consoles.
Let's point out that until today GTA V records very good sales results. Despite being ten years old, the game was the best-selling title in Europe in July this year, and recently surpassed the mark of 185 million copies sold.
GTA Online - a massive success in multiplayer
GTA V is undoubtedly one of the giants of the game market, but one should not forget about the multiplayer mode for this game, which has also been a gigantic success.
GTA Online debuted in October 2013 and offered the players free exploration, enhanced by seasonal challenges. This situation has not changed in... 10 years - the developers continue to regularly provide millions of players with fresh missions and consistently develop the online version of the game, introducing, for example, the GTA subscription, which gives access to exclusive content.
The latest highlights in GTA Online are anniversary gifts, thanks to which players can celebrate the round birthday of their favorite game. Among the multiplayer features include:
- collector's items inspired by GTA V (clothes of the three main characters);
- Bravado Hotring Hellfire car (available for free to GTA members );
- missions from Lamar; and Trevor.
All the details of this anniversary content can be found directly on Rockstar Game' website.
Nearly 200 million copies of GTA V sold
A recent financial report released by Take-Two Interactive, the publisher of GTA V, revealed, that the fifth installment of the iconic series has sold more than 185 million copies.
- Recall that a few years ago the game was made available completely for free. Epic Games Store prepared a promotion, which gave players the opportunity to become the owner of the full version of the game without spending a single cent.
- Currently GTA V and GTA Online are also available on Xbox Game Pass. In the past, the game was hosted on Microsoft's service more than once, but only for a limited time. Now the publisher has once again decided to add it to this offer, because, as the charts suggests, the procedure triggers an increase in interest in the game and its sales.
It is worth mentioning that on the success of the fifth part of GTA is also influenced by the modding community. One of the numerous modders - Cfx.re - has developed a modification that enables the creation of private roleplay servers (FiveM), where players can play in a customized way.
Cfx.re's work has been recognized by Rockstar Games itself, which a few weeks ago established a closer cooperation with the modding team, not hiding its excitement about it.
What's next for the GTA series?
Let's mention that to date there have been more than a dozen releases of GTA. There are so many that it's not difficult to get confused in the chronology of events - that's why the community has created special infograhics, which clearly show how the stories of each part of the series should be set in time.
While GTA5 is undoubtedly beloved by millions of gamers, being one of the most important games in the history of the industry, many are certainly looking forward to the news of GTA VI.
For now, we have no official news about the release date of GTA VI - we can only rely on the words of the CEO of Take-Two Interactive, who announced that in the next fiscal year (April 2024 - March 2025) the company will generate about $8 billion in revenue, and such results can only be provided by the sixth installment of GTA, so it should be released around this period.