author: Damian Gacek
Wartales - Tips and Tricks
In this text we present tips for starting to play Wartales. In this guide you will find information essential for your survival.
Wartales is a tactical RPG in which the player takes on the role of the commander of a mercenary band. Your company travels from town to town in search of work and wealth. Along the way you will more than once come to decide the fate of many people. But before you do, it's worth knowing how to start your adventures. In this guide we present the most important tips for getting started.
Before starting the game
If you are starting your adventure with the game, there are several options to choose from before starting. It is worth thinking about them a bit.
- Choose a balanced team - focus on a team that will provide you with a Scout, an Archer and a Swordsman / Warrior. The first option on the list (friends) is ideal, as it will additionally give you Influence, and this enables you to quickly acquire another companion.
- Team bonus - there are actually a few notable options here, definitely worth looking into the critical damage bonus and experience. However, the game is mostly about walking, so it's a good idea to choose a perk that allows for long marches.
- Team disadvantages - definitely choose frail physique, as there are horses in the game that will carry your heavy bundles.
- Exploration without scaling or with scaling - a lot depends on your preferences. If you are a beginner, choose without scaling, as you will be focusing on one region at a time anyway. We write more about this here.
- Difficulty level - You can experiment with this element, depending on your experience. However, if you are starting out with the game, choose Any Save mode.
- Skills - You definitely want someone with a shield and First Aid.
- Traits - It's a good idea to choose traits that fit the character's role. A swordsman, for example, will benefit from a bonus to strength. The Volunteer perk is also invaluable. It will enable you to save some money. If you give the character 2 positive characteristics, you will have to balance it with a negative one. It is worth choosing Lazy.
- At the beginning of the fight you can set up your fighters.
- In the lower left corner of the screen you can see the turns. Plan with this in mind and try to attack the opponent whose turn is approaching.
- Archers are weak in close combat.
- Capture the bandits, sell them later to prison or recruit them to your team, more on this here.
- Encircle the opponents in combat, you will then receive bonuses.
- Some classes can knock back enemies. Use this to control soldiers in combat. This will enable the allies to retreat to safety if they are threatened.
- Characters can inflict damage on allies, so be careful when using skills.
- After starting the game, it is a good idea to go north to the city, where you can get your first professions. They will add bonuses to your character attributes. We write more about it here.
- The same profession can be granted to several characters.
- Learn the Fisherman profession fairly quickly. This is a very good additional way to get food.
- Try to have one character focus on a particular profession, as they gains experience in it and passive bonuses become bigger.
- Creating items on the anvil will start a minigame. It's worth saving before it, as winning it perfectly will give you a better item of equipment.
- Cook is a basic profession that will reduce the need for food. In order to use it, you need to set up a Cauldron in the camp.
- Visit the Inn in the city as soon as possible, it is there that you can undertake tasks and take on new team members.
- For various activities and discoveries you will receive knowledge points and you will be able to spend them on blueprints and skills. At the very beginning you should unlock Running, Rationing, Saving, Yucca and Career schemes.
- It is worthwhile to visit the prison quite early, but not to hire companions, as they mostly have bad qualities, but to buy chains, so that you can catch prisoners and then resell them or recruit them to your team.
- Use passive skills in the Camp. Various workstations in your base generate bonuses if you assign units to them (just place a character at them). It is worth noting that only specific professions can work at some stations, while others have a limited number of options. Plan carefully.
- Salt is an important resource. Since it can be used to make simple meals. It will make food much more efficient.
- You will receive Suspicion points for crime. If you overdo it with breaking the law, the guards will pursue you. However, you can lower this value by traveling and returning criminals to prison.
- While resting, there is a chance that you will be attacked. Be careful.
- Use the services of a blacksmith and apothecary. You will find these characters in cities. They can heal you and repair your equipment for a small fee. This is much better than using up valuable items for this. Leave those for emergency situations.
Wartalales – Interactive Map and Guide
We have written a guide. You can find there useful information about various mechanics. However, what is more, we have prepared a map. You can check it here.