We finally lived to see version 1.0.0 of the project FreeCol, an open-source F2P strategy game that remakes the iconic Sid Meier's Colonization from 1993.
Getting to this point was an exceptionally long path for the authors - because the release of version 1.0.0 took place exactly on the 20th anniversary of the release of the first edition.
- FreeCol - download the game
FreeCol is a turn-based strategy that enables you to attempt to colonize America. The game begins in 1492, and we start with one ship and a handful of settlers. The game is very extensive and you can easily put several hundred hours into it without feeling bored.
Importantly, while the creators have remained faithful to the mechanics used in Sid Meier's Colonization, they did not slavishly stick to its solutions in other aspects. Instead of just recreating the original in higher resolution, the developers chose a more ambitious approach - in terms of graphics and interface, they modeled their work on the much better Sid Meier's Civilization III from 2001.
Version 1.0.0 of FreeCol brings mainly technical improvements, increasing stability. Some visual elements have also been improved and the AI has been heavily enhanced.
The authors' goal in version 1.0.0 was to faithfully reproduce and refresh the mechanics and content of Sid Meier's Colonization. Now the developers have begun work on FreeCol 2.0.0, which is expected to introduce many new elements and gameplay features, realizing the vision of what a full-fledged sequel to Colonization could look like.
- FreeCol - official website
Other fan-made remakes of classic strategies
FreeCol is not the only game of its kind. Fans have developed many free strategy games based on older hits. Worth recommending in particular are:
- Advanced Strategic Command (ASC) - A turn-based battle game inspired by the first three installments of Battle Isle from Blue Byte studios.
- Race Into Space - a game about running a space program in the 20th century. It began as a pure remake of Buzz Aldrin's Race Into Space, but then the authors introduced a lot of new elements and improvements.
- Dune 2: The Golden Path and Dune II The Maker - two fan-made remakes of the game that launched the RTS genre.
- Freeciv - a free strategy game modeled on the first three parts of Civilization.
- FreeOrion - a 4X space strategy that builds on ideas from the first two installments of the Master of Orion series.
- Transarctica Remake - a fan-made version of an unusual strategy game about a train traveling through ice-covered, post-apocalyptic Earth.
- Tzared - A refreshed version of the RTS Tzar: The Burden of the Crown.
- Unknown Horizons - an economic strategy modeled on the first two installments of Anno.
- Widelands - fan-made heir to The Settlers II.
- ZED Online - unofficial remake of the first part of Z from Bitmap Brothers. Despite the name, the project also offers a single-player campaign.
- Zero-K - a free-to-play RTS with mechanics modeled on Total Annihilation.