Newsroom News Breaking Comics Tags RSS
News video games 24 March 2021, 12:45

author: Adrian Werner

Genshin Impact Became the Fastest Earning Mobile Game in History

Revenues from the mobile version of Genshin Impact have just surpassed one billion dollars. The game has managed to achieve this faster than any other iOS and Android title. Thus, the previous record holder, Pokemon GO, was dethroned.

IN A NUTSHELL:
  1. The mobile versions of Genshin Impact have earned over $1 billion in less than six months after release;
  2. The game has crossed the billion dollar revenue threshold faster than any other mobile title to date;
  3. It is currently the third highest earning mobile game in the world.

Genshin Impact proved to be one of the most pleasant surprises of 2020. The latest report from the Sensor Tower analytics group shows the scale of the game's success. It turns out that the revenues from the mobile versions of the project alone exceeded one billion dollars. Of this amount, about 60% came from iOS, and the remaining 40% from Android users.

This result was achieved in less than six months after release, as Genshin Impact debuted on the App Store and Google Play on August 28, last year. October 2020 was the best month ever for the mobile version of the game, with revenues equal to $233.7 million.

As of December, the revenue generated on iOS and Android amounted to around $160 million per month. In March, the game had already earned $148 million. All indications are that the current month will be the second best in the game's history.

In the last 30 days, Genshin Impact was the third highest earning mobile title in the world, counting revenues from the App Store and Google Play combined. It was only surpassed by PUBG Mobile and Arena of Valor/Honor of Kings. What is interesting, however, is that the dominant positions of these two games are due to their gigantic popularity in China. When we compare revenues excluding the Middle Kingdom, Genshin Impact is currently the highest earning mobile game.

Moreover, Genshin Impact crossed the billion dollar revenue threshold faster than any other mobile production. The game took less than six months to do so, while Pokemon GO needed eight months to achieve this result.

Genshin Impact's unwaning popularity is mainly due to its fast-paced development, which is very expensive. It took $100 million to develop the game, and the developers expect to have to spend around $200 million each year to keep a steady stream of new content at sufficiently high level.

As we can see, though, these investments are paying off. Keep in mind that surpassing a billion dollars in less than six months only applies to mobile versions. The game is also available on PC, PlayStation 4 and PS5, so overall revenue is even higher. The game is also set to hit Nintendo Switch this year.

  1. Genshin Impact - game guide
See/Add Comments