There was talk of the creation of a sequel, and what do we get? Not a sequel, but a reboot of 2014's The Lords of the Fallen is being made. The news was announced during today's gamescom 2022 Opening Night Live. Below you can see the game's trailer with narration by Joseph Quinn (the actor who played Eddie Munson in the fourth season of Stranger Things).
Lords of the Fallen reboot in a nutshell
- Lords of the Fallen reboot will be released on PC, PS5 and XSX/S. When? We do not know, but the first gameplay is expected to be revealed later this year.
- The studio responsible for developing the title is Hexworks, owned by Polish company CI Games (which, in partnership with Deck13, created the original). The developers are led by Saul Gascon (known for, among other things, Dead by Daylight or PayDay 2) and Caesar Virtosu (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin's Creed: Origins).
- The game is being developed on Unreal Engine 5.
"The Lords of the Fallen is the spiritual successor that the fans of the original always wanted. The game is significantly larger, with a huge dualistic world, full of connections between locations and a division between the realm of the living and the dead. It can be explored alone or with friends. The game's atmosphere is much darker and more challenging - the world has a stronger identity, a richer narrative and a more immersive story. Soulslike combat is faster and more dynamic, and the RPG systems are much deeper than in the original," assures Virtosu, the project's creative director.
Lords of the Fallen reboot - what to expect?
- The reboot of Lords of the Fallen will be set a thousand years after the events of the original. So a new adventure awaits us in a world that is expected to be five times larger than that presented in the 2014 game.
- We will traverse it with a custom character - and not Harkyn - in the single-player variant or in a two-player co-op mode debuting in the serie, between which you will be able to switch at will.
- The reboot is expected to offer a "rich RPG experience" - mainly thanks to a large number of NPCs, an expansive story to explore, and a tactical, challenging combat system that focuses on speed, fluidity and the use of devastating combat spells and buffs.