On the following page of the Songs of Conquest game guide, we have provided useful information on building and developing settlements.
- Types of settlements and their development
- Improving, demolishing and repairing buildings
Types of settlements and their development
In Songs of Conquest, you cannot expand your settlements indefinitely. Buildings are erected only in designated areas, and the number of buildings depends on the size of the neighborhood.
- Fortress - these are the biggest settlements, you won't find them on all campaign maps; you can erect 7 small buildings, 3 medium ones and 2 big ones. You can also surround them with a wall;
- large settlement - this will often be your first settlement in many missions; they are also quite rare, here you will build: 3 small buildings, 2 medium buildings and 1 large building;
- small settlement - the most common type of settlement you will encounter in the game; in them, you will build: 2 small structures and one medium one.
It should also be noted that the above number of buildings is available for maximally developed settlements. Depending on the size of the settlement, you can upgrade it two (small settlements), three (large settlements) or as many as five times (fortresses).
When you select a settlement, you will be able to see its name, type, and underneath that, the level. If it isn't the maximum, you will additionally see an arrow on a green background at the bottom. As long as you have enough funds, you can expand your settlement. This will give you additional construction sites to build on and increase your profits from the settlement.
Songs of Conquest divides buildings into 3 types - large, medium and small. Construction sites correspond with this division. You won't put a larger structure on a smaller site, but you can put a smaller structure on a larger one (but this is extremely unprofitable in most cases).
In order to construct a building, you have to choose a suitable empty square in the settlement. You can switch between them with the "x" key (you can learn more about the game's controls from the Controls page). You will see a window that will open by default on the buildings appropriate for the size of the construction. However, you can change this with the tabs at the top.
On the left you will see a list of available structures, while on the right you will be able to read a description and see the effects of erecting a given structure. Also, you can switch between the first level of the building and the second level here to see what you will need to expand it later.
- Small buildings are mostly related to economy or to recruitment of basic military units. It takes one turn to create them. Noteworthy among them is the rally point. This is an extremely important building that allows you to recruit troops from other settlements (unfortunately, it is not possible to promote them).
- Medium buildings enable you to recruit more complex warriors. It takes 2 turns to put them up. In addition, among them, you can find a market that allows you to buy and sell resources. The more markets you have, the better prices you will get.
- Large buildings are reserved for faction upgrades (military and economic) and for recruiting the most powerful units. You will wait three turns for such a structure to form.
Improving, demolishing and repairing buildings
Most buildings in the game can be upgraded. Simply select the structure and press the arrow on the green background. The smallest ones only cost money and resources. Larger ones, however, often require another structure to be expanded as well. This combined with the severely limited space in most settlements means that you have to be very careful when developing.
The above statement implies that you will sometimes have to destroy a building that has already been built. Fortunately, this happens immediately and most of the funds will be returned to you. To do this, select the structure in question and then press icon depicting a hand with money on red background.
It may happen that your opponent plunders one of your buildings. You will not be benefiting from it in that case. You can fix it by interacting with it.