The friendly B-12 drone will join your cat as you play through Stray. On this page of the guide you will find the main information about the AI companion - how to attach B-12, what interactions can the drone perform and whether you risk losing B-12 in locations with enemies.
How to unlock B-12?
You will meet B-12 in chapter 3 - The Flat. Exploring the titular apartment involves finding power sources for a large device, unlocking a side room, and finding B-12 while it's inactive and "bringing it back to life". From that point on, it will become an AI-controlled companion. B-12 will equip your pet with a backpack for collecting items and memories.
A detailed description of how to activate B-12 can be found in the Puzzle solutions chapter on the B-12's body puzzle page.
B-12's main skills
You can't take control of the drone, but you can ask B-12 to perform various activities by interacting with your surroundings. The drone can:
- translate the language of robots - this is your only way to communicate with them;
- pick up items - they are digitized and placed in your inventory;
- activate various devices - these include electronic locks;
- illuminate the area - most of the time, you have access to a basic flashlight, but in chapters 7 and 8, you can use the Defluxor, which can kill monsters with UV light;
- help in solving puzzles - some puzzles require the drone and the cat to cooperate;
- collect secrets and collectibles - the most important are B-12's memories, which you can view one the backpack screen;
- give tips - you can ask your companion to remind you of the current task.
All activities that require help or cooperation with B-12 are described in our guide's walkthrough and on the pages concerning collectibles.
Can you lose the drone?
Neither zurks nor sentinels can destroy B-12. In locations with monsters and enemy drones, only your cat's life is in danger. Unfortunately, if the animal dies, the drone can't revive it.
During the game, you will disconnect from the drone several times - these are pre-determined story points. When this happens, you will be unable to perform activities related to the drone. The inventory and the memories menu will also be locked.