Valve summarized the last year on Steam. The statement included a bunch of interesting stats and results of this service.
2021 on Steam in numbers
More and more users
- The number of monthly active users increased to 132 million.
- The number of active daily players increased to 69 million.
- A new all-time activity record was set with 27.4 million players logged in simultaneously.
- In 2021, 31.2 million users made their first purchase on Steam. The growth rate in this category was the same as in 2020, which is quite an achievement considering that the growth of the industry was fueled by the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic at the time.
Growing revenue and activity figures
- Players spent 27% more money on Steam than in 2020.
- The total time all Steam users spent playing games increased by 21% compared to 2020, with 38 billion hours in 2021.
Other interesting information about Steam's performance in 2021
In other interesting news, Valve reminded that 2021 was a landmark year for Steam, as Microsoft and Sony Interactive Entertainment games finally began to be released on the platform.
Valve did not release any VR games in 2021, but the segment still saw growth on Steam. The number of VR users in 2021 increased by 11% and the number of unique game sessions increased by 22%.
Valve also bragged about the results of its sales. During last year's summer sale, revenue was 13% higher than during the 2020 Steam Summer Sale. Steam Next Fest events, which enbale users to check out demos of hundreds of games, were also very popular. Thanks to them, 2021 saw a 22-fold increase in terms of games added to wishlists compared to the events held in 2020.
- Steam - official website