IN A NUTSHELL:
- Blizzard Entertainment discontinued Game Time variants offering 30, 90 and 180 day access to WoW;
- We can still purchase the 60-day version, pay a subscription, or provide ourselves with additional game time using a token;
- The move may be an attempt to fight bots, but some players interpret it as desire to increase profits.
Blizzard Entertainment decided to remove several variants of the so-called Game Time for World of Warcraft from sale - we are talking about products offering access to the game for 30, 90 and 180 days. Players will still be able to purchase the 60-day version (its price does not change), use a monthly subscription that requires a credit card or buy game time thanks to a token.
The developers have not presented any explanation for their decision - the official communication on this matter is quite laconic. It is possible that the step is motivated by a desire to fight bots, whose accounts have so far often been maintained precisely thanks to cheap, 30-day access cards.
"We recently conducted a review on the available services in all currencies. Based on this, we have decided to alter the available Game Time options in the Blizzard Shop. As of today, the Game Time options of 30, 90, and 180 days have been removed and Game Time is only available as a purchase of 60 Days," reads the entry on Blizzard forum.
However, some players suspect that Activision Blizzard's move may be an attempt to increase revenue. It's true that activating a subscription is the cheaper option - at least when you pay six months in advance - but some players forget to turn it off when they're not interested in playing anymore. Buying a subscription with a credit card will now also be the only way to return to Azeroth for a month (a lot of players do so on the occasion of the release of a new expansion) and these people will either have to forget about deactivating the service or choose the option for several months, which will be more beneficial for them financially.
- World of Warcraft - game review
- World of Warcraft: Shadowlands Review - 75% Legion; 25% New
- World of Warcraft - official website