Total War Saga TROY is the second spin-off in the Total War series of strategy games. The game focuses on the conflict between the kingdoms of Troy and Mycenaean Greece, known as the Trojan War. In Total War Saga TROY players have an opportunity to lead the troops defending Troy or take control of the Greek army that invades the city. As was the case in the previous games of Creative Assembly studio, the gameplay of Total War Saga TROY combines turn-based strategy and resource management with real-time tactical control of battles. The first segment of the game consists in making decisions and taking actions on a strategic map in a turn-based system - we manage our empire on a macro scale, take care of the economy of all regions under our control, trade with allies, establish more or less friendly diplomatic relations with other parties or finally conquer new territories. The second dimension of the game consists of real-time battles on land and sea, during which we take direct control of our troops. As we play the game we can worship individual deities that plays an important role - by showing respect to particular deities we may get valuable bonuses for our army.
Beginner's Guide & Tips
Before you start your adventure in Total War Saga Troy it's worth to read some key tips that can make the gameplay a bit easier and increase your chances of winning every battle. These hints are mainly addressed to casual players and beginners. To read more, visit our Beginner's Guide & Tips page.
- Difficulty level - if you are a novice player and you want to play your first campaign in Total War Saga Troy, then choose heroes whose starting position is easy or normal, such as Menelaus or Agamemnon. Also, don't increase the difficulty level of the campaign and battles above the normal difficulty level;
- Heroes - make sure your Hero stays close to the fighting troops during combat. By doing so, you will increase the morale of your soldiers and help them in the battle by luring enemy troops' in the vicinity of your Hero. Also, remember to use his special abilities against enemy forces.
- Recruit new troops - each battle will increase your fighting strength and thin the ranks of enemy forces. Thus, try to add more warriors to your army as soon as possible. Remember that a potential opponent can surprise you with an attack in any round. The enemy can even bring some hostile allies with him.
- Economics - proper resource management is the key to success in the Total War Saga TROY. Resources are needed, among other things, to conquer settlements, construct buildings, recruit individuals, strive for the grace of the Gods, and trade;
- Terrain - use the terrain of the battlefield to your advantage. Take positions on hills and take advantage of higher spots. Surprise your opponents - use flank attacks and hide key light units in the forests;
- Save the game before every important battle. In other words, it's always worth to save your game before you fight an opponent's army which has a similar level of strength. If you fail, you can make another attempt.
- Weather conditions - weather conditions on the battlefield affect the behavior of your troops. As the aggressor, that is, the side that declares war, you have the possibility of changing weather conditions three times. For example, if you don't want to fight in the rain, then you can try your luck in drawing another type of weather conditions.
- Use flank attacks - attack your enemy from every side. Flanking maneuvers are an extremely effective fighting technique that can quickly wreak havoc among enemy forces. Units attacked from the flank receive increased damage and are also unable to use the shield effectively;
- Morale - when the events during the battle tip the balance in favor of one side, enemy troops (or your own) may start to escape from the battlefield. Escaping from the battlefield is equivalent to surrendering and losing the battle;
- Tactical map - during battles, you can turn on a tactical map (press the TAB key by default) and view the entire battlefield with all troops;
- Use the pause - if you are a novice player and need some time to correctly issue commands during the battle, then use the pause feature. You can activate it from the menu in the bottom right corner of the screen or by pressing the P key. Find out more about controls on a separate page of our guide: Keybinds.
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
We answer basic questions about Total War Saga Troy, among other things, whether the game is available on Steam or whether you can get this game for free. It is a small compendium of knowledge about the content and changes implemented in the game.
- Total War Saga Troy - can I get it for free?
- Total War Saga - is it available on Steam?
- Total War Saga - Is there a cross-platform feature?
- Total War Saga Troy - are there any mythical creatures in the game?
- Total War Saga - are there any Gods in the game?
- Total War Saga Troy - what kind of famous heroes will be available in the game?
- Total War Saga Troy - how does the economy look like?
- Total War Saga Troy - how does the diplomacy look like?
- Total War Saga Troy - will there be a Trojan horse in the game?
Total War Saga Troy - can I get it for free?
Yes, the full version of Total War Saga Troy can be acquired completely for free, but only if you will pick it up within 24 hours of its release on August 13, 2020. You can pick up a copy of Total War Saga Troy directly from The Epic Games platform.
Total War Saga - is it available on Steam?
Total War Saga will be released on The Epic Games platform. However, the Steam edition of the game will be released in the summer of 2021.
Total War Saga - Is there a cross-platform feature?
Game developers plan to implement a cross-platform gameplay feature before the official release of Total War Saga Troy on the Steam platform.
Total War Saga Troy - are there any mythical creatures in the game?
The creators of Total War Saga have made sure that some of the most famous mythological monsters will appear in the game, such as the Minotaur. The latter is depicted in the game as a powerful man covered in leather armor with a bull skull on his head.
Total War Saga - are there any Gods in the game?
Yes, players can try to receive the grace of several Gods, but it will cost them a lot of time and valuable resources. For example, Athena provides a combat bonus for spear-equipped units, and Aphrodite improves diplomatic relations and contributes to population growth. Also, it's worth noting that players can worship multiple Gods at the same time.
Total War Saga Troy - what kind of famous heroes will be available in the game?
In Total War Saga Troy you can find many heroes whose heroic deeds have been remembered to this day, such as Achilles (who was the main character of Homer's Iliad) or Hector (the bravest Trojan prince and hero).
Total War Saga Troy - how does the economy look like?
Total War Saga Troy uses an economic system based on 5 main resources: food, wood, stone, bronze, and gold. Resources are needed to construct new buildings, recruit units, and carry out other operations. Gold, due to its rarity, is an extremely desirable resource used for trading.
Total War Saga Troy - how does the diplomacy look like?
In Total War Saga Troy, players can form alliances with other characters (for example, a Non-Aggression Pact, military pact, etc.) and exchange raw materials among allied nations and kingdoms - obviously, this happens under certain conditions that can be negotiated.
Total War Saga Troy - will there be a Trojan horse in the game?
The developers have ensured that the Trojan horse mechanics will appear at certain moments of the story campaign. It will provide you with significant bonuses if you manage to use it quickly enough.
Total War Saga Troy System Requirements
Below are the official minimum system requirements for the PC version of Total War Saga Troy. Before you start playing, it's worth checking whether you'll need to reduce the graphics settings to get better performance in the game. Read more on a separate page of our guide: System requirements.
- Operating System - Windows 7/8.1/10 64-bit;
- CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo 3.0 GHz;
- Memory - 4 GB RAM;
- Graphics card - 1 GB GeForce GTX 460 / Radeon HD 5770 or better;
- HDD / SSD space - about 27 GB.
About Total War Troy Guide
Author : Lukasz "Qwert" Telesinski for gamepressure.com
Translator : Filip "Mithgandir" Liebert
last update :
Use the comments below to submit your updates and corrections to this guide.
Total War Saga: Troy Video Game
- genre: Strategy
- developer: Creative Assembly
- publisher: SEGA
- platform: PC
More About Total War Saga: Troy
This year was, quite surprisingly, a year of strategy games, bringing a diverse set of games to cater to all tastes. The question is, which games are worth the most attention?
After months of stagnation, the PC finally gets some interesting releases, including Baldur's Gate 3, Horizon: Zero Dawn and a new installment of Total War. Users of consoles will also get a game or two to play.