- Assassin's Creed: Valhalla will feature two new weapon types - one-handed swords, which fans have been asking for since launch, and some sort of scythe or sickle;
- Their presence in the game has been confirmed by one of the developers, as well as a Twitter user xj0nathan, who found information hidden in the game files about the achievements from the two upcoming expansions: Wrath of the Druids and Siege of Paris;
- We also learned a bit about the expansion packs themselves, including a new ability - Plague of Rats - that the latter will introduce.
Ubisoft continues to work on Assassin's Creed: Valhalla. The first major expansion, Wrath of the Druids, is due out next month. It's possible that even before that we'll get an update which will introduce one-handed swords to the game, something the fans have been asking the company for since the title's November launch. We also learned the achievements from both upcoming expansions.
The addition of one-handed swords to AC: Valhalla was confirmed by Jose Araiza, - responsible at Ubisoft for post-release support - with whom YouTuber JorRaptor conducted a short interview. When asked about these classic weapons, the developer replied as follows:
"Yes, they will appear in the game. If I'm to be honest, I was one of the loudest voices calling for this change. (...) We were surprised how much the fans missed them. However, we wanted to do them right. It was necessary to create a completely new type of sword - one that is completely differently to fight with, not just another skin. I can say this much: it is already being prepared."
One-handed swords are nothing new to Ubisoft - after all, this type of weapon was featured in both AC: Origins (with a shield) and AC: Odyssey (in dual-wield), and some characters from AC: Valhalla - such as Basim Ibn Ishaq (whose outfit will be made available to the players soon) - use the weapon. So you could say that some of the work is already done. However, if you are bored of axes, or consider them to be not a very elegant weapon, look out for further information about the update. And let's hope that this time Ubisoft will not irritate players with the changes.
On the other hand, Twitter user xj0nathan informed that the achievements not yet available in AC: Valhalla are already in the game code. Thanks to him, we know that each DLC will enable us to get 5 new trophies to collect. Some of them are closely related to the story of Wrath of the Druids and Siege of Paris, so their descriptions will only reveal the names of the tasks we'll have to do (e.g. Into the Fog). Others reveal more, such as how many members of the Children of Danu cult or the Order of the Ancients we'll have to eliminate (five in each organization), or that the game will introduce new weapon types (sickle and the aforementioned one-handed swords) and skills (e.g. Plague of Rats). The list of challenges can be found below. Just keep in mind that there may be more of them in the final game.
Achievements from Wrath of the Druids:
- Harvest Time - Kill 100 enemies using the Sickle;
- Puca - complete the mission Into the Fog;
- Bran the Blessed - Synchronize all vantage points in Ireland;
- Children of Danu - defeat 5 members of the Children of Danu cult;
- Ireland's Saga - complete the main story line of the expansion.
Achievements from Siege of Paris:
- Diren Dall - kill 100 enemies using a short sword;
- Horseman of the Apocalypse - kill 50 enemies using the Plague of Rats skill;
- Regium Francium - Synchronize all vantage points in France;
- Sweet Kiss from Paris - defeat 5 members of the Order of the Ancients;
- France's Saga - complete the main story line of the expansion
The list of achievements seems to suggest that one-handed swords will be introduced to the game with the Siege of Paris expansion, which is expected to be released in the second half of this year. Despite the developer's enthusiastic words, it's difficult to say when they'll appear in AC: Valhalla, and whether it'll be before Wrath of the Druids.
- Ubisoft - official homepage
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla Review - The Assassin We All Wanted
- Assassin's Creed Valhalla - game guide