IN A NUTSHELL:
- In the first week of September The Boys was the third most popular production available on streaming platforms;
- The title was watched for 891 million minutes, surpassed only by Cobra Kai and Lucifer, and besting The Office and Criminal Minds, among others.
According to Nielsen agency, Amazon Prime Video's hit series, The Boys, enjoys popularity comparable with Netflix's most popular shows (via The Hollywood Reporter). In the first week of September (31.08-6.09), the production attracted viewers for 891 million minutes. Only Cobra Kai (2.17 billion minutes) and Lucifer (1.41 billion minutes) have achieved a better result.
The title bested such famous series as The Office, Criminal Minds or Shameless, which can undoubtedly be considered a great success. The Boys' results also show that the fan irritation associated with broadcasting a single episode every week, instead of a whole season immediately (as was the case with the first season), does not translate into poor viewing numbers.
Streaming platforms do not report classic viewing data, so the method used by Nielsen is probably the best (or at least one of the best) way to assess the popularity of a TV show. It seems that the producers - headed by Erik Kripke - have reasons to be satisfied. Considering the great stats, it is hardly surprising that the decision to create a spin-off was made.
The 10 most popular programs available in streaming - Nielsen
- Cobra Kai (Netflix), 2.17 billion minutes
- Lucifer (Netflix), 1.42 billion minutes
- The Boys (Amazon), 891 million
- The Office (Netflix), 843 million
- Criminal Minds (Netflix), 675 million
- Shameless (Netflix), 639 million
- Grey's Anatomy (Netflix), 616 million
- The Legend of Korra (Netflix), 541 million
- Mulan (Disney ), 525 million
The second season of The Boys debuted on Amazon Prime Video on September 4, this year.
- Amazon Prime Video - official website