Health is one of the most important indicators of your character's condition in Sons of the Forest, representing how much damage you can take before dying. Maintaining a high level of health will increase your chances of survival in critical situations, such as a cannibal ambush or a close encounter with a mutant. Remember to pay attention to it and restore it whenever possible, making these unforeseen fights easier.
The best way to mitigate damage, however, is restoring the armor bar next to your health bar. If you have armor, it will be damaged instead of your health when you're hit. This also lets you save up on the limited medicine which restore your entire health bar.
What happens when your health drops to zero?
Taking too much damage and running out of health results in one of two possible outcomes:
- Loss of conciousness - when you run out of health for the first time during your playthrough, you'll lose conciousness, waking up in a cannibal camp or in the ocean. You can still free yourself and continue the game. If you had a companion with you, they'll appear in the camp as well.
- Death - run out of health for the second time and you'll die, resulting in a game over. You'll have to load your previous save file.
How to restore health?
There are several ways to replenish health:
- Taking medicine - these restore you back to full health but are rare and their quantity is limited, only use them as a last resort;
- Crafting plant-based medicine - Yarrow Aloe Vera restores a large amount of health;
- Eating cooked meat - the best way early on, restores a large amount of health.
List of armors
Combat is tough and unforgiving without any armor, especially against mutants. These can kill you with just a few quick strikes, which are also much more difficult to dodge compared to the cannibals' attacks. There are several types of armor available in Sons of the Forest:
Cloth, leaf x10
Looted off mutants and some cave-dwelling cannibals
Bones x4, Duct Tape, Rope
Cloth, Animal Hide x2
Tech Mesh, Duct Tape, Batteries, Wire, Circuit Board
Hidden on the island