- According to the resume of one of The Outer Worlds 2 devs, work on the game began in September 2019;
- This means that the team began working on the second installment even before the release of the first one;
- This gives hope that The Outer Worlds 2 will be released in late 2022 or 2023.
Obsidian Entertainment announced The Outer Worlds 2 in June this year, and now reports have surfaced that the game may have been in production for over two years.
The source of this information is the LinkedIn profile of Dan Maas from Obsidian. It shows that team has started working on The Outer Worlds 2 in September 2019.
More for You:
It is worth recalling that the first The Outer Worlds was released on October 25, 2019. This means that Obsidian Entertainment started working on the sequel even before the release of the first part. This shows that the developers were confident in the success of their new IP and intended to develop it.
As we already know, the developers were right. Recently Obsidian boasted that the sales of The Outer Worlds exceeded 4 million copies. It's worth mentioning that this number - impressive in itself - doesn't reflect the full scale of the game's success, as it is also available as part of Game Pass.
For now, the devs have not announced the release date of the sequel, but the fact that works on The Outer Worlds 2 began over two years ago gives hope for a release in either late 2022 or 2023.
- The Outer Worlds - official website
- The Outer Worlds Review – RPG of the Year? Yeah, of 2012