This page of the guide contains a description of the fight with the Berserker Soul of Hjalti the Stolid - one of the stronger optional bosses of God of War Ragnarok. You will learn how to unlock Hjalti's gravestone in Alfheim, the recommended tactics for defeating the Berserker, and how to deal with the boss's unique attacks.
Location of fighting Hjalti
The Berserker Gravestone is in the Forbidden Sands region, but initially you cannot start the fight even if you approach the map marker.
You must complete the Song of the Sands favor in the same part of Alfheim. This will help remove sandstorms in the area. Now, when you reach the marker, you will notice the Berserker Gravestone.
Boss fight with the beserker
All Berserkers are fought in small enclosed arenas. Avoid standing near the edges of the arena, as the camera can make it difficult for you to follow the boss.
It is a good idea to attack Hjalti as soon as she appears in the arena, so he will already lose some health at the start. During the fight:
- use Kratos' runic attacks - optimally you should use all six (2 attacks for each weapon);
- use Spartan Rage (depending on the type you choose, activate it immediately or, for example, only after taking more damage);
- ask companion for help - they can use regular or stronger attacks (hold down the button);
- stay on the move and dodge when you are not sure if you will block or parry a given attack;
- avoid losing a lot of health in the initial part of the fight - health may appear in the arena, but picking it up can be risky.
Hjalti during fights can try to charge - it is a blue skill and you should try to stop Hjalti by hitting the boss with the shield. Onslaught Shield can be very helpful here, allowing you to make a charge with a shield and quickly approach the Berserker.
We described how to obtain the Onslaught Shield on the All shields page of the Character progression chapter.
The boss's red attacks are dangerous:
- shooting projectiles while levitating - do not try to throw weapons at the boss, but instead focus on dodging to the side at the perfect moment;
- jumping combined with hitting the ground - perform a dodge shortly before Hjalti finishes the jump.
Hjalti also uses a yellow spinning attack you can recognize from other Berserker fights. You need to practice dodges or parrying at the last moment (risky), i.e. just before the boss hits Kratos. Dodging or parrying too early will cause you to receive damage.
Once Hjalti's health bar is depleted, there will be an opportunity to perform an execution on the boss - press R3.
Before you approach the sword fragment marked with the quest icon, collect all loot from the arena.