Cyberpunk 2077 on release had plenty of bugs, technical issues and poor optimization, especially on PS4 and Xbox One consoles. This guide page attempts to answer whether the game has been noticeably improved and whether it is worth playing Cyberpunk 2077 with the major 1.6 update installed.
The following description refers to the state of Cyberpunk 2077 as of September 2022, i.e. after the release of patch 1.6. The game will be further developed so that its technical condition and content can keep improving.
- Technical condition of the game on the day of release
- Game after patch 1.5 (February 2022)
- Game after patch 1.6 (September 2022)
- Choosing a hardware platform - what to play Cyberpunk 2077 on?
Technical condition of the game on the day of release
Cyberpunk 2077 had a very problematic launch. Depending on the system platform, gameplay was uncomfortable (PC, PS5, Xbox Series) or even borderline unplayable (PS4 and Xbox One). Players could experience a lot of bugs, crashes and freezes or very low performance. Cyberpunk 2077 even disappeared from digital distribution for a while only to return after critical bugs were fixed.
More serious problems and nuisances of the game are described on selected pages of the guide:
Game after patch 1.5 (February 2022)
In February 2022, Cyberpunk 2077 received a massive 1.5 update fixing most of the major bugs. It forced players to download a large amount of data - about 50 GB of patches on PC and Xbox consoles, about 55 GB on PS5 and 99 GB on PS4. Its most important changes were:
- fixing the biggest bugs and improving the game's optimization;
- improvements for Xbox Series/X and PS5 consoles;
- skill rebalancing on skill trees;
- NPCs artificial intelligence fixes;
- improvements to the driving model and FPP view when using vehicles;
- more extensive romances;
- free DLC - new weapons and accessories for them, new options for changing the appearance, the ability to buy new apartments and modify their interior.
It is worth noting that patch 1.5 itself was not without bugs and was fixed with smaller patches.
Game after patch 1.6 (September 2022)
The current state of Cyberpunk 2077 is much better than it was at launch. The game is fully playable on all platforms for which it was released, including PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles.
Cyberpunk 2077 has received a number of major updates and one of the most important is patch 1.6 from September 2022. It has improved the game's performance, fixed more bugs, and added some brand new free content, including:
- 3 new side missions;
- 11 new weapon models (6 firearms and 5 for close combat);
- option to transfer progress between platforms;
- option to save outfits without changing armor stats (transmogrification);
- new options for changing the appearance of characters at Ripperdocs;
- Roach Race mini-game, which can be played on arcade machines.
Not all bugs and problems have been fixed yet. The police, who can appear out of nowhere and who is generally easy to escape, continues to be done very poorly. However, the studio is planning further fixes to improve imperfect mechanics.
Choosing a hardware platform - what to play Cyberpunk 2077 on?
The current version of Cyberpunk 2077 is worth playing, you don't have to wait for further updates. The current patches have fixed all critical bugs and improved the game's performance to at least a satisfactory level.
We recommend playing the game on PC, PS5 or Xbox Series X. The game will look the best on these platforms, although in the case of PS5, you may want to switch to the performance mode to get stable 60 frames per second. The aforementioned platforms will also receive a story expansion in 2023 called Phantom Heist. It will offer a new story, new locations to explore and new types of missions and activities.
The game is also playable on PS4 and Xbox One, but those platforms will not receive any more major updates - the last big patch was 1.6. Owners of PlayStation 4 and XONE copies can expect only smaller patches in the future. Phantom Heist will not be released on PS4 or Xbox One.
A certain convenience may be that you do not have to start the game from the beginning if you want to play the campaign started on PS4 or XONE. Patch 1.6 introduced the option to transfer saves between platforms. You can send the save files to the cloud, download them on new hardware and resume the game right where you left it.