This page of the Dying Light guide contains a walkthrough of The Breakthrough main quest. In the following walkthrough, you will find out, among other things, how to protect Frank and help him, get medicine for Frank, track the van, and advance to the campaign epilogue (point of no return).
- Rewards for completing the quest
- Get to the canteen
- Meet up with Juan
- Protect Frank
- Check on Frank - important choice
- Ask Margaret for help - optional mission objective of variant 2
- Chase the Renegades van
- Find a way to your ride to the Stronghold
Rewards for completing the quest
- XP - combat: 1000
- XP - parkour: 2000
- Unlocking the Now or Never main quest
Get to the canteen
You have to go to Fish Eye and then reach the room adjacent to the canteen where Frank is.
After watching a cutscene, you need to have another conversation at the bar and also talk to Jack Matt.
Meet up with Juan
Juan will be waiting on the roof of the building above the planned meeting point. You do not have to do anything more than observing the course of the meeting.
After a fights start below, you will have 1 minute and 25 seconds to defeat your opponents. Jump down and join the Peacekeepers fighting against hostile Renegades. You can use a more aggressive playstyle, but you should easily eliminate all of them before the allotted time runs out.
Check on Frank - important choice
After the fight, you will receive a time-limited mission objective to check on Frank - it's enough to run to the designated spot, which will take you about ten seconds max.
Now, you'll have to make an important choice regarding Frank, who's been shot with a poisoned arrow. You can proceed in two ways:
- Option 1: the left dialogue option - ask Jack Matt to keep Frank alive so that you can start chasing the truck right away. This option is worse, because Frank may die.
- Option 2: the right dialogue option - find a way to help Frank. This is a better option, because Frank can survive this way, and you will chase the truck later in the mission anyway.
Ask Margaret for help - optional mission objective of variant 2
You will find Margaret in a hut on Culvert Island. After talking to her, you will receive a quest to find 5 underwater herbs.
Go outside and dive. Use your survivor sense to easily find the plants on the bottom. You need to get 5 herbs.
After you get the herbs, you have to go back to Frank - the new time limit is 2 and a half minutes. Get out of the water as soon as possible to start running. Your goal is the canteen in Fish Eye - you should have plenty of time left after you arrive.
A cutscene will play, where Frank will be saved. During this scene, you may remain silent or tell Lawan that the Renegades are not using the poison that was used on Frank. This will raise suspicion that he might've been poisoned by someone else.
Chase the Renegades van
This is another mission objective with the time limit, but now time will be renewed at some points of the chase. Start by locating the elevator near the Fish Eye to reach the rooftops.
You should use a paraglider to track the van, but you can also try running over adjacent rooftops.
Avoid falling down and moving on lower heights. This may result in receiving a message about losing signal, and if you do not rush back to the rooftops or raise at the proper altitude, the mission may fail.
The chase will end when the van you are chasing enters the garage of one of the buildings. You won't be able to follow it inside, but you'll receive an updated mission objective.
Find a way to your ride to the Stronghold
You have to reach the upper balcony of the building - you can climb the wall and grab the protruding metal elements.
You'll find a door at the top, but before you open it, the game will notify you about the so-called point of no return. We have described it in more detail on the page Endgame - is it in the game?. Here are the most important information:
- Opening the door ends the current quest and starts the Now or Never main quest. You will have to deal with the two final quests of the campaign epilogue without being able to interrupt them, i.e. without returning to the free exploration of the world map.
- The game will allow you to take care of the things you may have missed after you finish the main story, but then level scaling (the player and the enemies are on the same level) also starts and it can thus be more difficult.
- If you want to prepare more or do the optional content first, simply move away from the door. There's no rush for you to open them.